This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Breathing Problem Possibly Related To Celiac?

Derezzed

Derezzed Newbie

I've known I have at least been gluten intolerant for a year and I am also a type 1 diabetic for 11 years. I can't remember how I heard of celiac disease but about a year ago I was doing a little research on it and when I went to my diabetes clinic a nurse suggested I could have it based on my symptoms (migranes, bloating, gas, diarrhea/constipation) and she said that diabetics are at a higher risk of becoming one. Since then I almost eliminated gluten from my diet but I cheat from time to time...

I went to see my regular doctor a few days ago to check for vitamin deficiencies and things. I told her I was gluten intolerant and she suggested I do the gluten challenge for a month to see if I am a celiac. I'm going to start eating gluten again and get tested because if I am formally diagnosed with celiac disease I'll be less likely to cheat on a gluten-free diet. I also really want to know if I am a celiac.

I have an undiagnosed breathing problem and I'm wondering if it's connected to my gluten intolerance or celiac. I've had several lung function tests and they all come back normal. I've had trouble breathing for about two years and it got better when I stopped eating gluten but I've cheating on the gluten-free diet so I still can't breathe "normally". Since I started the gluten challenge a couple days ago my breathing has gotten worse. I can still walk short distances and talk okay. It's almost as if my stomach is so bloated it's pushing on my lungs and they can't expand properly. I don't think it's anemia but I'll know for sure when I get my test results back for vitamin deficiencies.

Has anyone else had breathing problems related to celiac/gluten intolerance?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

T.H. Community Regular

could be related to your celiac disease, yes.

You also might want to check out 'paradoxical vocal cord dysfunction' and see if that sounds possible for you. Especially if it's 'irritant induced.'

Also, you may really want to check out information about some of the dangers they are finding in gluten challenges - there was an article on here within the last couple of months, I believe, on it. Eating gluten again for an extended period of time ups your risk significantly for developing OTHER auto-immune diseases afterward.

You should have your doctor really do a bit of research, because honestly? Especially with your diabetes, and how celiac disease can affect your diabetes when you are eating gluten, this could do some serious damage to you. You doc needs to REALLY understand what the risks are, and it doesn't sound like she realizes there are any at all.

The symptoms are usually a lot worse than before you went gluten free. The damage can be significantly worse with gluten than before you went gluten free. Maybe you could do a genetic test, or have them look at what has been done in recent studies with saliva tests, or what the metabolic markers are for celiac disease (they have done studies involving both of these, so there are precedents, but the doctors would have to look for these. Less pain for you, more work for them).

I would urge you to make sure your doc has a clue before you put yourself at risk. :(

Gemini Experienced

I've known I have at least been gluten intolerant for a year and I am also a type 1 diabetic for 11 years. I can't remember how I heard of celiac disease but about a year ago I was doing a little research on it and when I went to my diabetes clinic a nurse suggested I could have it based on my symptoms (migranes, bloating, gas, diarrhea/constipation) and she said that diabetics are at a higher risk of becoming one. Since then I almost eliminated gluten from my diet but I cheat from time to time...

I went to see my regular doctor a few days ago to check for vitamin deficiencies and things. I told her I was gluten intolerant and she suggested I do the gluten challenge for a month to see if I am a celiac. I'm going to start eating gluten again and get tested because if I am formally diagnosed with celiac disease I'll be less likely to cheat on a gluten-free diet. I also really want to know if I am a celiac.

I have an undiagnosed breathing problem and I'm wondering if it's connected to my gluten intolerance or celiac. I've had several lung function tests and they all come back normal. I've had trouble breathing for about two years and it got better when I stopped eating gluten but I've cheating on the gluten-free diet so I still can't breathe "normally". Since I started the gluten challenge a couple days ago my breathing has gotten worse. I can still walk short distances and talk okay. It's almost as if my stomach is so bloated it's pushing on my lungs and they can't expand properly. I don't think it's anemia but I'll know for sure when I get my test results back for vitamin deficiencies.

Yes, breathing issues can be from Celiac/gluten ingestion, although you won't find a doctor who will know this. My sister and her son have severe asthma and, I suspect, both have gluten issues. Not sure if it's Celiac or gluten sensitivity but that really doesn't matter much. I had my nephew do a small gluten challenge for me. He went without beer for 2 weeks (which is hard for a 28 year old, apparently!) and then drink one. On the first sip, his chest tightened up and his breathing became more labored...which hadn't really happened as badly in the previous 2 weeks without the beer. My sister's asthma is not well controlled yet both she and her son do not want to be Celiac's so they keep eating the crap. Sad, isn't it?

There is an article which, I think, is on this site which shows recent study findings on the link between asthma and Celiac Disease. My mother has developed a breathing problem, of which the doctors can find no cause so they labeled her as COPD. It's not asthma supposedly but she has really bad bouts of shortness of breath. I personally think it's the Thomas's English muffins that are doing her in..... ;)

I am not a physician yet many people in my family, who I suspect have a gluten problem also, have trouble breathing. I'm still trying to figure out how many more centuries will pass before they link many of today's diseases to food issues..... <_<

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

My son had "severe asthma" all his life. But his lung function tests were always normal. Yet he suffered from breathing problems and was on inhalers and steroids and antibiotics all his life. They helped very little. He had no energy. It has all "magically" disappeared since he went gluten free. He went without gluten for 4 days then ate a pizza. His reaction was so bad I had to take him to the ER for a breathing treatment. While there, I asked them about Celiac and told them we had just done the challenge. No, they said, asthma is not associated with Celiac, they never heard of such a thing. So we left the hospital with the typical round of steroids, antibiotics, and medicines for breathing treatments. Even my son thought he had just gotten a really bad cold or virus coincidentally at the time of gluten challenge. I thought no way.... He went gluten free again...and hasn't had any asthma or breathing problems in 6 months! He is gaining energy and stamina. It was all gluten related. Shortly after this episode there were three articles or studies on Asthma and Celiac...posted in the Research section here. I think they are just beginning to make this connection. But as a previous poster said, You won't find a Dr. who knows about it.

Derezzed Newbie

could be related to your celiac disease, yes.

You also might want to check out 'paradoxical vocal cord dysfunction' and see if that sounds possible for you. Especially if it's 'irritant induced.'

Also, you may really want to check out information about some of the dangers they are finding in gluten challenges - there was an article on here within the last couple of months, I believe, on it. Eating gluten again for an extended period of time ups your risk significantly for developing OTHER auto-immune diseases afterward.

You should have your doctor really do a bit of research, because honestly? Especially with your diabetes, and how celiac disease can affect your diabetes when you are eating gluten, this could do some serious damage to you. You doc needs to REALLY understand what the risks are, and it doesn't sound like she realizes there are any at all.

The symptoms are usually a lot worse than before you went gluten free. The damage can be significantly worse with gluten than before you went gluten free. Maybe you could do a genetic test, or have them look at what has been done in recent studies with saliva tests, or what the metabolic markers are for celiac disease (they have done studies involving both of these, so there are precedents, but the doctors would have to look for these. Less pain for you, more work for them).

I would urge you to make sure your doc has a clue before you put yourself at risk. :(

I go to a teaching clinic and I rarely see my doctor, it's mostly residents. I've decided against the gluten challenge though. It's my third day (in a row, I had gluten a few days before actually starting the challenge) eating gluten and I feel awful. I don't think I can last a month. I'm getting symptoms that I had before I went gluten-free but I didn't think they were related to eating gluten. The worst is the dizziness and my whole body feels like it's in constant motion or tingly.

I'm definatly asking if she can do another test.

It's reassuring that gluten can cause breathing problems. I know my breathing problem isn't asthma but my symptoms are similar. The only way to see if it is related to eating gluten is to get rid of all gluten in my diet. I'll have to buy condiments that are only for me. I really hope my breathing difficulties are from eating gluten.

• 3 weeks later...
cassP Contributor

i have had breathing problems (shortness of breath & panic attacks) off and on since i was 15. it got better when i went on Paleo diets the last decade. i completely relate to your description of the stomach feeling like it's pressing up into the lungs or diaphraghm. i TOO was tested for lung problems- had xrays & breathing tests- everything was normal- nothing wrong. i also have MAJOR sinusitis for the past 7 years or so.

i thought for sure that going gluten free would alleviate these issues or even cure them.

it helped- but no the shortness of breath was relentless.

it wasnt untill i was diagnosed with Hashimoto's & Grave's and started thyroid meds- did things improve- my Shortness of Breath is 85% better most of the time. my sinus headaches are also gone, and sinusitis has improved 75%.

you really should be fully tested for both autoimmune thyroid conditions- as they are common in those of us that already have an autoimmune disease- and Thyroid conditions can result in Shortness of Breath and Anxiety.

that being said- my issues are not 100% resolved- so i am very curious to know if my stomach issues are also contributing to it. tho ive been gluten free for almost one year. idk. i really cant wait till im free of shortness of breath forever.. but i have to try to relax and believe it will happen. i AM incredibly happy that it has improved a great deal.

look into that please- as u may find some relief from that. i KNEW that my S.O.B. was not normal- i KNEW that there had to be something else going on.

momof2peanutz Newbie

Wow. This is an incredibly interesting thread.

I, too, have had breathing problems, starting with my first pregnancy. I was preeclamptic (toxic) with both pregnancies and each time I felt like it was hard to get enough air in my lungs. And as you said, thought my lungs just didn't have enough room to get air in. I thought it was b/c the baby was blocking them or my diaphram was, or just all the water weight I was gaining.

Both my pregnancies were like this - both horrible horrible experiences. (plus developed a he*# of an anxiety problem for which I now take the supplement, 5-HTP - awesome awesome thing) On a different note, I now firmly believe that preeclampsia (though 'they' don't know officially what causes it) is an autoimmune condition,(only happens in pregnancy) triggered by wheat sensitivity.

During my 2nd pregnancy, I couldn't even sit (or lay down) and read my son a story. I couldn't breathe.

It was crazy.

Not until literally about a week ago, when I figured this stuff out and went off gluten has my breathing finally gotten better. I realized (after doing a diet where you buy pre-packaged food) - This diet doesn't use much wheat in their stuff and even has gluten-free foods.. Anyway, I realized my breathing was much better.

I have two kids, 3 and 1 to chase and when I've gone back and had gluten. - I swear to you, I thought I was going to die. I can't believe my reaction to it.. I just feel so so so so sick. I have to lay down and it lasts for days.. even just stuff that's cc'ed (cross contaminated) I can't afford to eat it for a month -(I seem to react even much much worse to it now) - even after eliminating most of it for about a month on this diet.

I can't afford to put my health at risk and not be able to schlep my little guys around and feed them, etc. It's not worth it to me to take a gluten challenge...

Btw - in the book I'm reading - Dangerous Grains - Braly, I remember a certain researcher or doctor strongly believing they should change the name of celiacs to just gluten/wheat sensitivity. I've suspected, too, that there's not much difference betw. the two.

So, that may put your mind to rest slightly if you at least know you're highly sensitive to wheat. I just kind of think about it as "all the same".. - disclaimer: I'm no doctor/nutritionist.. And yes, I really want my diagnosis, but..

I will probably get the finger prick test they sell online now. $50 and they send you test and you can do it @ home. it's brand new.. If that doesn't reveal anything, I'll just get DNA tested. That, at least, can tell you if you have the genes for celiac, and if you have two of them or only one. I believe you can get a full work up and get even more info on your DNA, or also get a comprehensive blood test that tests for upwards of 60+ different allergies.. (if you so desire.)

Btw - both my kids are violently wheat and dairy intolerant and my son presents symptoms of ASD. (more proof it's the stinking wheat!) :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

Wow. This is an incredibly interesting thread.

I, too, have had breathing problems, starting with my first pregnancy. I was preeclamptic (toxic) with both pregnancies and each time I felt like it was hard to get enough air in my lungs. And as you said, thought my lungs just didn't have enough room to get air in. I thought it was b/c the baby was blocking them or my diaphram was, or just all the water weight I was gaining.

Both my pregnancies were like this - both horrible horrible experiences. (plus developed a he*# of an anxiety problem for which I now take the supplement, 5-HTP - awesome awesome thing) On a different note, I now firmly believe that preeclampsia (though 'they' don't know officially what causes it) is an autoimmune condition,(only happens in pregnancy) triggered by wheat sensitivity.

During my 2nd pregnancy, I couldn't even sit (or lay down) and read my son a story. I couldn't breathe.

It was crazy.

Not until literally about a week ago, when I figured this stuff out and went off gluten has my breathing finally gotten better. I realized (after doing a diet where you buy pre-packaged food) - This diet doesn't use much wheat in their stuff and even has gluten-free foods.. Anyway, I realized my breathing was much better.

ya- i should also tell u guys that my first panic attacks with S.O.B. happened in my teens- and BOTH incidences were at restaurants. my present theory is that the gluten i was consuming was possibly setting off my thyroid-

my mom has also noticed when she eats gluten she cant breathe. (she also has Hashimoto's... and a DQ8, but no dx celiac or gluten intolerance)

Derezzed Newbie

i have had breathing problems (shortness of breath & panic attacks) off and on since i was 15. it got better when i went on Paleo diets the last decade. i completely relate to your description of the stomach feeling like it's pressing up into the lungs or diaphraghm. i TOO was tested for lung problems- had xrays & breathing tests- everything was normal- nothing wrong. i also have MAJOR sinusitis for the past 7 years or so.

i thought for sure that going gluten free would alleviate these issues or even cure them.

it helped- but no the shortness of breath was relentless.

it wasnt untill i was diagnosed with Hashimoto's & Grave's and started thyroid meds- did things improve- my Shortness of Breath is 85% better most of the time. my sinus headaches are also gone, and sinusitis has improved 75%.

you really should be fully tested for both autoimmune thyroid conditions- as they are common in those of us that already have an autoimmune disease- and Thyroid conditions can result in Shortness of Breath and Anxiety.

that being said- my issues are not 100% resolved- so i am very curious to know if my stomach issues are also contributing to it. tho ive been gluten free for almost one year. idk. i really cant wait till im free of shortness of breath forever.. but i have to try to relax and believe it will happen. i AM incredibly happy that it has improved a great deal.

look into that please- as u may find some relief from that. i KNEW that my S.O.B. was not normal- i KNEW that there had to be something else going on.

My diabetes clinic usually does liver function/thyroid function tests every year. I can't remember if it was this year or last but I had my thyroid tested and it came back normal. Although I have heard of people with thyroid problems and they're blood work comes back normal. I'm supposed to see my doctor this week so I'll ask them about testing my thyroid again.

My breathing problem did get better when I was eating less gluten but I was never fully off it because of cc. I was using the same toaster, butter, wooden spoons,ect. I dunno... I hope it'll get better when I'm completely off gluten.

I just remembered I had pneumonia a few months before the breathing problem started and I know I was reacting to gluten before I had pneumonia, is it possibly my lungs were weakened and the gluten caused the breathing problem?

Archived