This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Who Knew This Was All Gluten-Related!

Ladylene

Ladylene Newbie

I have battled with sickness for nearly 20 years. Gallbladder and appendix removed, adhesions removed 3 times. Constipation, bloating, stomach pain, depression, dermatitis, mood swings, weight loss, extreme fatigue, joint and back pain.

Then 3 1/2 years ago I developed an ear infection and started on a course of antibiotics. Bam! Overnight I lapsed into severed anxiety, depression, panic attacks, paranoia, fear, bloating, stomach pain, ringing in the ears, vertigo, stroke-like symptoms, sinus infection, brain-fog, memory loss, inability to concentrate and many more symptoms. My weight dropped to 42 kgs! I thought I was going crazy! Suicide was looking like my only way out of the torment and I planned it on a daily basis.

I had many tests and nothing came back positive. The anxiety was so severe and the dizziness so bad I slept sitting up in a chair for nearly 2 years. I couldn't leave the house. Doctors told me it was probably stress-related and depression and I was placed on anxiety meds and antidepressants. Nothing seemed to help and after 9 months on Lorazapam I began suffering a side effect called 'paradoxal aggression'. I came off the anxiety meds and life improved a little.

In desperation I visited a Naturapath and she suggested it might be diet related. I started on an elimination diet and my symptoms began to improve. I eventually figured out I was reacting to wheat and cut (most) of it from my diet. I still suffered from symptoms but it was not constant and appeared to be in bursts. My GP tested for Celiac but it came back negative so I assumed that wheat was not my problem after all and re-introduced it. Bad move! Symptoms returned. After another year of symptoms and playing around with my diet I discovered that both gluten and rice are the biggest problems for me.

I began taking Glutamine to help heal my gut and a good probiotic (OMX). I also took minerals and vitamins. I no longer do antibiotics and instead take MMS drops. Kills infection very quickly without destroying the 'good' gut bacteria.

My health began to slowly improve and many of the symptoms are gone most of the time, however I keep having set-backs. This is very disheartening, and when the depression and anxiety come its is difficult to believe it will ever end. I did some research last week after a particularly bad gluten attack where I got a gut infection (happens sometimes) and discovered I am not actually 'gluten-free' like I thought. Still having foods with barley and other stuff like maltodextrin (including in the Ensure I was taking to gain weight).

My GP says I should go back on gluten so I can do the test again but I am too afraid .. the stomach issues I can handle but the neurological ones .. NO WAY!

Having just had a debilitating week after eating easter eggs containing maltodextrin, and a week of Ensure as well, I began to research gluten more thoroughly and I discovered this site. I have read for days and cried buckets at the absolute relief of discovering that I am not the only one, that I am not going crazy and that there is HOPE!!!!!

I am on a mission now to eliminate ALL gluten (even the hidden stuff) and all rice products (these too can be hidden in other ingredients) from my diet. I have found in my cupboard 7 different products that I use regularly and contain gluten. I'll do whatever it takes to end the depression and stomach symptoms and regain my life!

If only I had known 20 years ago what I know now, my life would have been entirely different!

Thankyou so much for your stories, journeys and encouragement! I will keep reading and learning!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kim69 Apprentice

Am so sorry to hear you have had so many health issues. I agree this site and a similar depression forum are helping me enormously. My dr and others around me look at me sceptically when i mention brain fog - it doesn't appear to be an accepted symptom but so many of us suffer so much.

I am an engineer. For the past few days I have been on site working 10 hr days, having had to start the day at 4 am to catch two 2 hr flights to get there. Any normal person would have been tired! I have to be really careful with my diet when traveling because I will be useless if I get gluten poisoned or affected by the many other foods I am sensitive to such as onions. One morning I stood making breakfast at 5:15 am and poured my coffee in my cereal bowl!

At work I am struggling to think straight still, even though I

have been gluten-free for 1 year. I am working through other

dietary issues. And I am treating depression - Anti-depressant seems to be working well which I am really grateful for.

I am interested that you can't eat rice. It is the first time I have heard of anyone not being able to digest rice.

Its certainly difficult to avoid all sources of gluten. I have had to cut out oats because in Australia our oats are grown and processed in same facility as wheat. I so miss my muesli!

Thanks for your post!

Ladylene Newbie

Thanks for your reply.

At work I am struggling to think straight still, even though I

have been gluten-free for 1 year.

From what I have read brain-fog can also happen for people who have high yeast growth. I took a good probiotic to help with this. I tried every medical tablet available including 5 weeks of Ketacanazol (not sure of spelling) but nothing helped. I eventually got drastic and went sugar-free, yeast-free and low carb. for 3 weeks. Did the trick and I get very little brain-fog now. Its a drastic measure to take and was amazed to find out how much I craved sugar during the first 4 days! It was difficult to do but it was well worth it.

I am interested that you can't eat rice. It is the first time I have heard of anyone not being able to digest rice.

I know 3 other people now who are gluten intolerant that also cannot have rice, including a 9 year old nephew, but have no idea why. When I first cut out wheat I supplemented with rice and deteriorated very quickly! I had to do an elimination diet to figure it out.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I'm glad you found your answer! Keep persevering too. There are a lot of people on here who are sensitive to rice. Don't know if it is the glucose, carbs, or CC issues, but it pops up here rather frequently. Welcome to the rest of your life!

Debbie B in MD Explorer

I am sensitive to rice too, I think. I was enjoying gluten-free rice cereal each morning, but then I was getting that stomach feeling which I now know is from glutening. I stopped the cereal and my tummy is better. Grains and I just don't get along.

IrishHeart Veteran

Just FYI--

"Maltodextrin, a common food additive, is a type of sugar that

Archived