Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Meg123

Would Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance Cause Malabsorbtion?

I have another thread going re my current position with regard to the testing....am doing the gluten challenge atm.

But I've just been reading a few post in here and am starting to gather that having non celiac gluten intolerance in itself is a serious condition. I didn't realise.

I'm wondering though if having gluten intolerance alone would cause the malabsorbtion issues? ie being consistently low in iron, b12, magnesium etc long term (even when taking supplements)

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, non celiac gluten intolerance acts like celiac but there is another yet unknown mechanism.

IgE allergies would not cause malabsorption, though.

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

when I went in to pick up a copy of my blood test my Dr said that I definately am gluten intolerant (based on the positive blood results) but not sure about celiac yet.

So, would you say that even if the biopsy is neg, that it's just as important to be STRICTLY gluten free if you are non celiac gluten intolerant as it is if you have celiac?

So, would you say that even if the biopsy is neg, that it's just as important to be STRICTLY gluten free if you are non celiac gluten intolerant as it is if you have celiac?

Yes. :)

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

went I went it to pick up a copy of my blood test my Dr said that I definately am gluten intolerant (based on the positive blood results) but not sure about celiac yet.

If you have postive blood work it is very likely you are celiac even if the biopsies are negative. In reality it doesn't really matter whether you are celiac or gluten intolerant you need to be just as strict with the diet either way.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

My celiac tests came back within the normal range (so negative) so I suspect I'm gluten intolerant. However, I am low on several vitamins and have been anemic off and on for years. So I would say yes. :)