Meg123

Would Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance Cause Malabsorbtion?

Rate this topic

I have another thread going re my current position with regard to the testing....am doing the gluten challenge atm.

But I've just been reading a few post in here and am starting to gather that having non celiac gluten intolerance in itself is a serious condition. I didn't realise.

I'm wondering though if having gluten intolerance alone would cause the malabsorbtion issues? ie being consistently low in iron, b12, magnesium etc long term (even when taking supplements)

Thanks

Yes, non celiac gluten intolerance acts like celiac but there is another yet unknown mechanism.

IgE allergies would not cause malabsorption, though.

• Upvote 1

when I went in to pick up a copy of my blood test my Dr said that I definately am gluten intolerant (based on the positive blood results) but not sure about celiac yet.

So, would you say that even if the biopsy is neg, that it's just as important to be STRICTLY gluten free if you are non celiac gluten intolerant as it is if you have celiac?

So, would you say that even if the biopsy is neg, that it's just as important to be STRICTLY gluten free if you are non celiac gluten intolerant as it is if you have celiac?

Yes. :)

went I went it to pick up a copy of my blood test my Dr said that I definately am gluten intolerant (based on the positive blood results) but not sure about celiac yet.

If you have postive blood work it is very likely you are celiac even if the biopsies are negative. In reality it doesn't really matter whether you are celiac or gluten intolerant you need to be just as strict with the diet either way.

My celiac tests came back within the normal range (so negative) so I suspect I'm gluten intolerant. However, I am low on several vitamins and have been anemic off and on for years. So I would say yes. :)