Rate this topic

Good afternoon everyone! :)

I have a question....... I had a Celiac Panel drawn up on the 11th (still waiting for the results) my question is do you have to have a biopsy even after a positive blood test? Or is it at your Dr's discretion?

All I know is my Dr told me that if my Celiac Panel came back negative then I would need a colonoscopy :o

Thanks in advance if anyone answers!!!

Lisa

:D

I had the same question because the tests were for my 13-year-old daughter. All the doctors we talked to said yes, you want to be sure and an endoscopy/biopsy lets you know for sure. The doctor can actually see any damage. If you went on a gluten-free diet, then got tested, your test results would change and you would not know. For us, it helped us really move forward with being gluten free. Not a fun test, but good to know for sure. We've been gluten free 6 weeks and she's starting to feel better.

Good afternoon everyone! :)

I have a question....... I had a Celiac Panel drawn up on the 11th (still waiting for the results) my question is do you have to have a biopsy even after a positive blood test? Or is it at your Dr's discretion?

All I know is my Dr told me that if my Celiac Panel came back negative then I would need a colonoscopy :o

Thanks in advance if anyone answers!!!

Lisa

False negatives with both blood and biopsy are pretty common. If one is positive it is positive though and if your blood tests are positive it is up to you whether you want to have an endoscopy or not. If you are not done testing wait until all celiac testing you choose to have before trying the diet and do give the diet a try no matter what the test results. And by the way celiac is not diagnosed with a colonscopy. If your doctor wants to do a colonoscopy make sure he does an endoscopy at the same time and when you get the endo make sure he is taking a number of biopsies. There are times when celiac changes are visible through the scope but biopsies need to be done as the villi need to be looked at microscopically.

Thanks so much for your replies!

I did not mean to insinuate that a colonoscopy would diagnose me with celiac disease, my Dr just told me that if the Celiac panel came back negative then I would be in need of a colooscopy! to find out why I have had D for so long! :)

I am still eating gluten altho I am afraid to. But just incase I have to have the biopsy I certainly don't want to sabotage my results!!

Thanks again for the replies they are much appreciated!!!

Lisa

I did not mean to insinuate that a colonoscopy would diagnose me with celiac disease, my Dr just told me that if the Celiac panel came back negative then I would be in need of a colooscopy! to find out why I have had D for so long! :)

I am still eating gluten altho I am afraid to. But just incase I have to have the biopsy I certainly don't want to sabotage my results!!

Lisa

Even if the blood tests come back negative, they might want to do an endo & a colonoscopy. The blood tests are known to have false negatives.

Lisa

I would make sure if he does one procedure he does the other at the same time with it. There are folks who have had negative blood tests that have had positive biopsies and it is much less expensive to have the procedures both done at the same time.