hh73

Distended Belly

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with celiac disease and immediately went gluten free back in August 2010. It is now May 2011. So its been officially 10 months. My energy level is 85% back, the acne on my back is going away, I no longer need to eat like a horse in order to feel satisfied.

But one lingering symptom is left.

My distended celiac belly.

When will this go away? What can I do to help it?

I go for a brisk walk 45 minutes a day, lift light weights every other day, take a multivitamin, and get 8 hours of regular sleep every night. What else can I do?

I was diagnosed with celiac disease and immediately went gluten free back in August 2010. It is now May 2011. So its been officially 10 months. My energy level is 85% back, the acne on my back is going away, I no longer need to eat like a horse in order to feel satisfied.

But one lingering symptom is left.

My distended celiac belly.

When will this go away? What can I do to help it?

I go for a brisk walk 45 minutes a day, lift light weights every other day, take a multivitamin, and get 8 hours of regular sleep every night. What else can I do?

I was still having trouble with bloating and it turned out to be fructose malabsorption. Onions were the worst offender, since I've cut them out I feel heaps better and no longer look like I'm pregnant.

Did you cut out dairy? If not try cutting that out. For me soy will also cause 'bowling ball belly' but that may not be the case for you. Sometimes we do have other problem foods and IMHO the best way to figure out what they are is to eliminate them for a bit and see if problems resolve.

OK. On your advice, and after consulting with a doctor, I am going to go the next 2 weeks without dairy or soy. I have already switched out my supplements so that I dont get cross contaminated with these two additional allergens.

If after the two weeks end and I see no improvement, my doctor recommends I start taking probiotic yogurts.

Any additional thoughts?

We generally recommend taking a probiotic supplemen right from the start.. especially if you have to avoid dairy. And if after a couple of months there is no relief, then a lot of us take digestive enzymes to help digest our food because the pancreas is often not producing enough of them.

I spoke to my doctor. She recommended probiotics, but not digestive enzymes.

I started taking MegaFood MegaFlora probiotics today. Has anyone else here tried probiotics? How long did it take to see a difference? What was the difference?

You may not notice an immediate difference. They just help promote the healing process in the gut. With digestive enzymes they may make a more immmediate difference because they start digesting the food right away.