redheadsmom

Is It Possible To Test Negative Then Get A Positve

Rate this topic

The more research I have been doing over the last few weeks is all pointing to me having Celiac. I had blood tests done yesterday and am waiting for the results. I was tested for Celiac via blood work about 4-5 years ago and it was negative so I was wondering if it's possible to test negative and then a few years later test positive? I also had an endoscopy done about 5 years ago because I was having severe heartburn and was diagnosed with GERD and nothing was said about Celiac after the endoscopy. I'm actually hoping I test positive so everything I have been dealing with for 15 years makes sense!

Jessica

Yes it is completely possible to test negative earlier and positive later. The testing results are graded so that a small level of antibodies is negative, a moderate amount is mildly "positive" and everything over a certain number if positive. So you couldl have been in early stages when you were first tested and then become more reactive farther down the line, and hence now diagnosable. The testing process is not perfect by any means, and many gluten intolerants will never test positive to the current celiac tests but nevertheless cannot eat gluten. So even if your current tests are also negative, you should try eating gluten free and see if it works for you. :)

• Upvote 2

Yes it is definately possible. My now 6 year old tested negative in Nov. 2008 after I was diagnosed. Fast forward two years and he tested positive in Nov. 2010.

Raising hand... negative for years, positive in 2010

Judy,

did you have to start eating gluten again for the results to show positive? Thanks!! :)

Judy,

did you have to start eating gluten again for the results to show positive? Thanks!! :)

I didn't go gluten free until after the diagnosis in 2010, my initial tests still showed negative (not sure which ones) but my biopsies and genetic tests showed Celiac. So I went gluten free that day. In the past when they did the tests that came back negative I had been sick for a month or more and hadn't eaten much but cottage cheese and jello for a month so I was actually gluten free and didn't realize it.