This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gi Repair Kit ?

monika

Korwyn Explorer

Wow, thanks so much domesticactivist! I think I have seen some of your other posts. I have been doing mostly Paleo, but I really think I need to try GAPS. It just seems like so much work to make all of the homemade food, especially with traveling during the summer. I guess I will just do the best I can. I am so sick of being sick!!

Hi Laura,

Hopefully I can make a suggestion that might help. Prep ahead of time. I mean buy some freezer bags and screw top freezeable containers. Get two weeks of your broths, soup stocks, etc, prepared ahead of time - before you start. Get your lard, ghee, butter, sea salt, etc ,whatever you are going to be using for fat stock and cooking ahead of time. Sit down and figure out a meal plan for each day for the first two weeks. Get as much stuff prepped ahead of time for those first two weeks, and then stick to your meal plan (as best as possible with small children around). It will help reduce the stress of having to figure out everything at the same time you are having to deal with the inevitable reactions of 'I don't like this, can't we have X?' At least you won't have to worry about what you're eating, what you need to prep, etc.

Then on the weekend #1, take some time to replenish what you just ate and figure out the meal plan for week #3 make necessary adjustments to it. Don't try and revise week #2 (that you already planned out) unless absolutely necessary (e.g. food intolerances show up or are identified). Knowing you already have the coming week planned out helps a LOT because you don't have the pressure of having to plan for what you need to eat immediately.

Also, if you are travelling a lot, a vacuum sealer (get boilable bags) works wonders. Precook or lightly steam veggies, vacuum seal, and freeze. They'll keep quite a few hours in a cooler with small block of ice. Then you can drop them in a pot of water (in the bag) for a couple minutes, or open and saute them in butter or whatever you are going to do. Same thing with meat. Vacuum seal barely cooked portions, then freeze them prior to your trip. They cook up quite well with minimal effort, and being vacuum sealed, you can pack a LOT of food in a cooler. Like three or four times what you would expect. A medium sized cubic cooler can hold several days of food for three or food people this way if they are vacuum sealed in serving sized portions. Works well with almost any kind of food.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

laura4669 Apprentice

Hi Laura,

Hopefully I can make a suggestion that might help. Prep ahead of time. I mean buy some freezer bags and screw top freezeable containers. Get two weeks of your broths, soup stocks, etc, prepared ahead of time - before you start. Get your lard, ghee, butter, sea salt, etc ,whatever you are going to be using for fat stock and cooking ahead of time. Sit down and figure out a meal plan for each day for the first two weeks. Get as much stuff prepped ahead of time for those first two weeks, and then stick to your meal plan (as best as possible with small children around). It will help reduce the stress of having to figure out everything at the same time you are having to deal with the inevitable reactions of 'I don't like this, can't we have X?' At least you won't have to worry about what you're eating, what you need to prep, etc.

Then on the weekend #1, take some time to replenish what you just ate and figure out the meal plan for week #3 make necessary adjustments to it. Don't try and revise week #2 (that you already planned out) unless absolutely necessary (e.g. food intolerances show up or are identified). Knowing you already have the coming week planned out helps a LOT because you don't have the pressure of having to plan for what you need to eat immediately.

Also, if you are travelling a lot, a vacuum sealer (get boilable bags) works wonders. Precook or lightly steam veggies, vacuum seal, and freeze. They'll keep quite a few hours in a cooler with small block of ice. Then you can drop them in a pot of water (in the bag) for a couple minutes, or open and saute them in butter or whatever you are going to do. Same thing with meat. Vacuum seal barely cooked portions, then freeze them prior to your trip. They cook up quite well with minimal effort, and being vacuum sealed, you can pack a LOT of food in a cooler. Like three or four times what you would expect. A medium sized cubic cooler can hold several days of food for three or food people this way if they are vacuum sealed in serving sized portions. Works well with almost any kind of food.

Thank you Korwyn! That advice is very helpful! I will plan to stock up before I begin. As it is, I am going away this weekend so I decided not to even think about it until I return, and I can really sit down and plan. We are going to buy a freezer to put in our basement, which should help with freezing meals.

Archived