jemms

Weight Loss

Rate this topic

I have lost about 30 lbs in the last 6 months due to diarrhea and basically the g.i. problems I have had...I have about 50 lbs more to go before I am where I should be. I felt like for many years I wasnt eating much and still putting on weight. I have read that being intolerant to wheat and such can do this. Since being off gluten I have lost about 7 lbs in the last 2 weeks. I really dont eat too much and what I do eat is pretty darn healthy. I just want this weight off and hope that it happens consistently and quickly!!! Has anyone lost weight since going gluten free?? Thanks so much!! B)

• Upvote 1

Hi Jemms!

I "mysteriously" put on 50 pounds a few years ago without eating much more (if any more) than normal and yet I was always hungry. In November 2010 my Dr figured out I had a problem with gluten. Since November I've been gluten free. I've gone from 173 on November 2nd to 124 today! I went from family asking if I was pregnant to family asking if I'm bulimic! So to answer your question yes I've lost weight. Now I'm working on not losing too much more.

Yep, I've lost 34 pounds since February 1st. I too would gain "mysterious" weight and always felt that the amount I was eating was not great enough to translate to the weight I was gaining. I have hit a bit of a wall on the weight loss, but I think that's because I have started experimenting with different flours so baked goods are back in my diet again.

Just make sure you don't eat a lot of the processed gluten free stuff! I can't eat hardly any because of my other food issues, but I know people that have gained weight and have heard that the gluten free stuff contains empty calories.

Also, since one of my worst symptoms was fatigue I've gotten a lot more active now that I'm better. I've purchased an elliptical, bike and dumbbells since I've gotten better and use them regularly! So that probably helps with the weight loss too.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

I have put on about 5 kg since going gluten-free. I think it is because I try to stave off nausea with food. I can no longer eat my formerly healthy diet since apart from gluten, i cant tolerate a lot of fruits, veggies, beans and lentils.

I am still really tired and havent been able to resume exercise. That can't help.

I don't have celiac, but have lost almost 20 lbs since going gluten-free and starting the GAPS diet (see sig for details). The weight just fell off, then stabilized, which is a good thing since I am thin and didn't have more than that to lose. What's weird is that I'd been at a very stable weight before, for years and years since after my kids stopped breastfeeding. I really thought that was my new normal and had gotten rid of all my skinny clothes! Now they would fit perfectly!