waterlily_

Looking For Dairy Substitutes

Rate this topic

I need to go off dairy for a while and I was wondering what subs there are out there for yogurt? I have smoothies for breakfast every other day and I can't think of anything different to use instead of yogurt.

I know of almond, coconut and soy milks, is there anything else? (that's not outrageously high priced) I don't like to drink soy milk straight as it tastes weird and coconut isn't much better. I haven't tried almond yet but I will. And chocolate soy milk as well, I heard that's better. ?

I never really thought about how much dairy is really in my diet. I'm seriously going to miss it. haha I just hope it's not permanent... D:

Thanks!

Can you just make fruit smoothies? Like with orange juice/apple juice and berries/bananas/etc?

I have oj fortified with calcium/vit D every morning to make up for the lost calcium from dairy.

If you use frozen fruit or fresh fruit with ice you don't really need to use yogurt or any type of dairy. They end up still being very tasty. My daughter's favorite is using frozen strawberries, canned peaches and a little bit of orange juice. Good luck finding something that works for you!

Can you just make fruit smoothies? Like with orange juice/apple juice and berries/bananas/etc?

I have oj fortified with calcium/vit D every morning to make up for the lost calcium from dairy.

I do use fruit. Milk, yogurt and fruit. I need a sub for the first two things.

If you use frozen fruit or fresh fruit with ice you don't really need to use yogurt or any type of dairy. They end up still being very tasty. My daughter's favorite is using frozen strawberries, canned peaches and a little bit of orange juice. Good luck finding something that works for you!

I prefer the smoothies with milk & yogurt as it's more filling. Thanks though. :]

I have seen coconut milk yogurt and soy yogurt but both are expensive. You can also try alternative milks however as they won't taste the same in the smoothie as they do straight or on cereal. Almond milk and coconut milk beverage (in the half gallons in the milk section-- coconut milk in the can is different) come in a variety of flavors--plain, vanilla, sweet, unsweet, chocolate. There is also hemp milk and rice milk (avoid Rice Dream brand however, the carton says it's gluten-free but it is made with barley water and gives some people trouble).

For baking I use olive oil, coconut oil (which is solid in form at room temperature) and palm oil shortening. For creamy dips and dressings I use mayo (I am still experimenting). Earth Balance makes a dairy free spread (I have not tried it because I can't find it in my stores).

I use coconut milk for fat in my smoothies and some protein powder along with the fruit. Filling and doesn't give me a hypoglycemic ride. :)

I need to go off dairy for a while and I was wondering what subs there are out there for yogurt? I have smoothies for breakfast every other day and I can't think of anything different to use instead of yogurt.

Just cow? If not, what about goat yogurt? My wife loves it.

There's also hazelnut and hemp milks. Plus rice milk, but I'd suggest making it yourself since some folks have reported reacting to cc in the biggest brand.

Have you tried the newish So Delicious coconut milk? I think it's pretty good mixed into anything and coconut's such a good fat, IMO.

Also, there's a coconut milk creamer that's tasty and might really make a smoothie creamy.