Scott Adams

Eating Gluten-Free Is NOT a Trend - The Stir

Rate this topic

6.jpg

The Stir

Eating Gluten-Free Is NOT a Trend

The Stir

Celebrities from Elisabeth Hasselbeck (who actually IS a celiac) to Gwyneth Paltrow are embracing the gluten-free lifestyle. And now, it's being hailed on the front page of The New York Times that opening a gluten-free bakery can be a great way to make some ...

and more »

View the full article

Meh.

Another one of these types who doesn't see the Big Picture. People who this doesn't help won't stick with it, but telling people who are not "officially" whatever auto- immune to not try gluten free food out of curiosity to see if it would make them feel better... or just for whatever reasons (like they don't want to cross contaminate a spouse or child later with a kiss) isn't being very helpful.

Agreed. What always surprises me with articles against trying the gluten free diet if you're not diagnosed w/celiac is that NO ONE ever addresses the expense of being 'officially' diagnosed. If you don't have health insurance or money is tight, what are you supposed to do - just suffer? Why wouldn't you try the diet? People who don't feel better will drop it; people that DO feel better were probably undiagnosed celiacs or gluten intolerant in the first place. Besides, I doubt that many gluten-free restaurant menus would even exist without the fad dieters. This woman just needs to learn to talk to the waiter or call the restaurant if she's worried.

Agreed. It's definitely trendy around here but of course there are people it's absolutely critical for. Whether there are gluten-free products and restaurants around is beside the point for someone it truly matters for. I wouldnt dream of feeding my son from anything but a dedicated gluten-free kitchen, and I always ask specific questions before trusting something "gluten-free"

One nice thing about the trend is that people at least have a frame of reference for it. Sure some are skeptical or have misconceptions, but that was the case before the trend, too.

For years I tried to figure out what was wrong with my son. If it hadn't been for this trend we may still be wondering. So I am grateful for it!!!