Menic

Tipping

Rate this topic

Lately, when I've been going to nicer restaurants with gluten-free menus, I have been trying to tip a little beyond normal, especially if the service was good. I would expect any restaurant that actually has a gluten-free menu to be on the ball, but when I tip, I generally feel like I'm helping out the next gluten-free person that comes in. I want the service staff to feel that the extra care they take with me was, in my eyes as the customer, worth it.

I understand that I'm the customer and I deserve good service anyways, special or not. But I was curious what other people here think. Do you tip any differently now? I know that when my waiter brought me that second loaf of appetizer gluten-free bread (at Wildfire, be sure to ask for it!) I was extemely happy.

I think it's also important that waiting staff understand the difference between people who have to be gluten-free and those that choose to be, but that's a whole different post.

Thoughts?

We don't go out often but we do tip well for gluten-free service. I always mention that I actually have Celiac. Some places have even asked. For example, the local pizza place when I order a combo that has Ital sausage. The sausage probably is gluten-free but they couldn't confirm it so they consider it non gluten-free. They asked if I had Celiac because some people will chance it or don't mind if it may have a little gluten. They wouldn't allow a Celiac to have it.

I haven't eaten out many times yet as I'm still in the early stages of Gluten-free (and feel more comfortable at home). But, when I've eaten out, the wait staff have been extremely careful (I tell them I have Celiac and briefly explain) and I have tipped VERY generously. :D It'd be nice if it pays off for the next person (kind of a random act of kindness).

• Upvote 1

Both my husband and I have been in food service in the past so we have always tipped well for good service, gluten-free or not. Now if a restaurant goes out of their way to make sure my food is safe I will write a letter to the corporate offices thanking them and naming the server and/or manager that were so helpful. That actually helps them more than just a good tip because the server gets to hear your good comments and it can lead to promotions or other benefits. It also helps to let them know when they are doing things right so they can continue to train people in that way or if the service is not standard, they can impliment training in the practices that were extraordinary at that location.

• Upvote 2

On the occasion that we went out to eat pre gluten free days we always tipped a minimun 15%. We have went out a few times since and still tip our regular amount. If they go above and beyond with me and my son being celiac we tip extra.

Both my husband and I have been in food service in the past so we have always tipped well for good service, gluten-free or not. Now if a restaurant goes out of their way to make sure my food is safe I will write a letter to the corporate offices thanking them and naming the server and/or manager that were so helpful. That actually helps them more than just a good tip because the server gets to hear your good comments and it can lead to promotions or other benefits. It also helps to let them know when they are doing things right so they can continue to train people in that way or if the service is not standard, they can impliment training in the practices that were extraordinary at that location.

That's a great idea. Thanks for suggesting it.

We also tip really well, and regularly call corporate offices to tell them how wonderfully we were treated. I think doing both things really help encourage restaurants to keep gluten-free items on the menu and adhere to their cc practices. We are excellent repeat customers when everything goes right!

• Upvote 1