This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ok. Help...

notme

notme Experienced

diagnosed 10 months ago and have been gluten free ever since. OH my gosh, what a huge difference in my quality of life! and put on 20 lbs so i don't look like skeletor anymore. i am still thin but putting on about 2 lbs a month so i'm feeling like i'm making progress. lately i have been just: TIRED. especially after eating? anyone experience this? i had been misdiagnosed for 25 years prior to getting celiac dx and going gluten-free. my thinking has been so much clearer (i actually did my taxes in one day this year lol) my digestion is continuing to improve. i have been cleaning (YAY!) could the cleaning solvents be affecting me? maybe i am over-doing it?? i am still tweaking my diet a little at a time (making minor adjustments, dealing with getting glutened/cc'd, going back to keeping a food journal if i can't figure something out) i have been trying to get to bed earlier but i still end up sleeping wayyy late and needing a nap after eating. i have been stressing about the almighty dollar since i am still not up to working. could stress be doing this to me? are my intestines taking up my energy to heal? also - the Wierdest Dreams Ever - could this be making me tired?? any help/experience(s) would be helpful. thank you all once again. husband is looking over my shoulder, saying "uh-oh" because i started a topic lol he knows i'm serious. he says "thank you" too.

ps - i totally hijacked somebody's thread the other day any i sincerely apologize. feel free to retaliate. i deserve it :( sorry

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lynnelise Apprentice

I've been suffering extreme fatigue for a year and a half with no answers so far. Most doctors immediately suggest my thyroid so that is something you should look into. Secondary food intolerances are another possibility since you get tired after eating. B12 levels are something else to look into. Also are there any other symptoms? Could you have a virus like mono?

bartfull Rising Star

This may not be related, but then again, maybe it is...I have only been gluten free for a couple of weeks now, and I have been having waves of fatigue wash over me, especially shortly after eating. A friend told me I should hold off on the fruit and carrots until later in the day because they make my sugar spike, followed by a steep fall.

So for the past couple of days I have been eating lots of protein for breakfast and lunch, then have my fruit in the evening. I am not so tired now, and after having a nice juicy peach after supper, I get so sleepy I go to bed and sleep like a baby. I thought maybe after I had healed i could go back to eating fruit any time, but maybe not?

notme Experienced

my dr checked all my levels last september (had to reschedule my check-up in may and the next appointment they had is for september) and they were all good, even my b-12 was good and iron was slightly elevated. i gave myself a little pat on the back for being strict with my diet (never thought i would be successful at it!) i took it as a good sign that i was finally absorbing nutrients. my skin (complexion) isn't blotchy like it used to be before dx and my muscles are gaining tone. i don't work out but i chase 2 two-yr olds and a 7 yr old for exercise lol. i skipped dairy for about 6 months and discovered that soy is not my friend so i avoid it. i am still not drinking regular milk (i use lactaid instead) and am only eating mostly hard cheeses and greek yogurt. recently i am giving peppers a rest unless i completely can't resist but they just make me uncomfortable - not like getting gluten: the gift that keeps on giving.... what are other symptoms of thyroid? i have had mono before but i had other symptoms other than exhaustion. blahhh i have a stack of recipes in front of me and beautiful peaches that are ready to be dessert. and no energy. :(

notme Experienced

hmmm. sugar spike. i never considered that at all! last night we had beet greens fresh from the garden for dinner. and i do like my fruit (and everything is coming into season so i have been trying to take advantage of that) strawberries were on sale so my son brought over about 4 qts and we pigged out on them the other night. i am not a 'sweet eater' a big splurge for me is 1/2 cup of ice cream or *one* andes candy lol. i was hoping the fruit would give me extra energy :) and vitamins :) but i suppose what goes up must come down. maybe i am bottoming out? i should know this stuff b/c my kid is type 1 diabetic lol...

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Hey hon, I have a feeling you need to drop ALL dairy for a while, it causes me fatigue. Also a side note. I have hauled strawberries and they are shipped in containers packed with wheat straw!. Unless you grow strawberries yourself or get them from an organic farmers market they are a big NO NO!.

notme Experienced

Hey hon, I have a feeling you need to drop ALL dairy for a while, it causes me fatigue. Also a side note. I have hauled strawberries and they are shipped in containers packed with wheat straw!. Unless you grow strawberries yourself or get them from an organic farmers market they are a big NO NO!.

i think you might be right. my energy levels have been off since i started back with dairy. ugh. i am the biggest cheese lover! well, i did it before; i can do it again. it's wierd because whatever i am eating it feels like it takes all my energy to digest?? stupid junk body... :/ back to the food journal.

o. my. gosh! wheat straw. who would think to ask that question :) i guess no strawberries for me - i was thinking of going to a berry farm to 'pick your own' but i think i might just try to grow them. that way i'll know :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived