This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Now What?

bartfull

bartfull Rising Star

I've been gluten free for four weeks now. After the first three days my psoriasis (my only strong symptom) started clearing up. Then I made some gluten free cornbread and it flared up again. So I stopped eating the cornbread and went back to using either Udi's or Canyon Bakehouse 7 Grain. The psoriasis completely cleared up on both hands.

Then a few days ago, it started coming back. I saw that Lay's potato chips are no longer considered gluten free because of CC in the factory, so I figured that must've been what caused it. But after being away from them for about a week the psoriasis is still getting worse. :angry:

So, I guess my question is, could it be the cornstarch in the Udi's? If so, why did the psoriasis clear up in the first place, and then clear up again after the cornbread was gone? I've been eating it (the Udi's and the Canyon Bakehouse) since I started on this diet. Why would it start bothering me now?

I haven't eaten anything else that could've done it. I eat mostly eggs, Cabot extra sharp Vermont cheddar, chicken that I cook plain, and some fresh fruits and veggies.

My hands and feet are worse now than they ever were. I am in constant pain. It stings like a paper cut, and the pressure when I walk or try to pick something up is unbearable.

Should I just give up on bread of any sort? Any advice you can give me will be appreciated. I'm ready to cry! It was GONE for a while, and I am SO disappointed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marilyn R Community Regular

Dear bartful,

I'm so sorry you are feeling so bad. I don't have reactions to my skin from celiac disease yet, but my primary issues are neuro, and here's what I've learned so far.

It might be good to give up all processed food (including UDI's for a little while). Go with whole foods, like fish and meat, fruits and vegetables, especially root veg. Wash your food well. If you really want a grain, buy white or brown rice, preferably from an oriental or indian store. I wash it before I cook it.

Search the forum for issues about cc (or cross-contamination). I realized that maybe the cord on my stick blender was cc because I used to use it for sauces or gravies and I probably had flour on my hand when I plugged it in.

You have to treat gluten like poisin. Is it in your cosmetics or personal care proucts, or cleaning products? Or is it lurking?

I've been ok with legumes, then not ok with legumes. Some grains killed me, some were ok. And I had to eliminate dairy and soy.

It's frustrating that you get more sensitive to gluten, but you do. I used to think it was all hocus pocus. Throw out those good wooden spoons? No way! Then I donated them to Hospice and started getting better. I don't think it was karma. Good luck, feel better soon!

erinecox Contributor

I'd second what Marilyn said and also consider you could have a secondary sensitivity. It's very frequent and corn causes alot of problems for alot of people... have you ever tried an elimination diet?

Skylark Collaborator

I would try eliminating corn. I know how hard it is to become intolerant to another food, but it sounds to me like both your psoriasis outbreaks are corn-related.

bartfull Rising Star

Thanks for the replies. I have one more day's worth of breads, and then I'll go bread free for awhile. (Shall I start making my sandiches between slices of meat? :lol: )

I'm wondering if maybe corn is the ONLY problem I have. I guess the way to find out is to stick to a completely non-grain diet for a while, then after a couple of months (?) make myself some pancakes for a few days and see what happens.

I have to keep reminding myself that it's only food. It's worth giving up one of life's pleasures in order to preserve the rest of them. I know, I can still eat well, but I work between 70 and 80 hours a week, and I was never much of a cook anyway. But I'd eat dirt if it made this psoriasis go away. After all, worms eat dirt. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. As a matter of fact, if you ever ate my cooking, you'd probably rather eat dirt too. :lol:

Thanks for the replies. I have one more day's worth of breads, and then I'll go bread free for awhile. (Shall I start making my sandiches between slices of meat? :lol: )

I'm wondering if maybe corn is the ONLY problem I have. I guess the way to find out is to stick to a completely non-grain diet for a while, then after a couple of months (?) make myself some pancakes for a few days and see what happens.

I have to keep reminding myself that it's only food. It's worth giving up one of life's pleasures in order to preserve the rest of them. I know, I can still eat well, but I work between 70 and 80 hours a week, and I was never much of a cook anyway. But I'd eat dirt if it made this psoriasis go away. After all, worms eat dirt. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. As a matter of fact, if you ever ate my cooking, you'd probably rather eat dirt too. :lol:

You won't have to eat dirt, but that is a great analogy. I've been so sick that I wished I didn't have to eat anything, just take a food pill.

You're working very long hours, that's really rough.

There are some really good posts on menu ideas on the forum for breakfast and lunch, and an ongoing one on What's for Dinner, hope you've seen that.

Here's what is pretty easy. Buy hearts of romaine and a salad spinner. Chop up all three hearts and wash/spin them. Stick them in a zip lock baggie in the vegetable container of your refrigerator. That takes about 6-7 minutes, and you have the basis for a week's worth of lunches.

Purchase cans of hearts of palm (something you probably haven't had very often and won't wack your autoimmune system out), cans of safe tuna (like ones that say tuna and olive oil, or tuna and water on the ingredient panel) and a wide mouth jar of capers. If you like olives, buy some really nice ones, and get a half a dozen fresh limes.

For your lunch, carry a container of the washed greens, a can of tuna and a can opener, half a lime and a baggie of the hearts of palm, capers, etc. You can add chopped beets, carrots, celery, cucumber if you feel ambitious, or prepared that stuff on the weekend. Throw all of the stuff on your greens, squirt the half a lime on the salad, and then add olive oil. You have fiber, protein, good fat and carbs. You can make that same salad with any protein you like, even steak. You can add white potatoes or pickled vegetables and/or chopped nuts or sunflower seeds.

You won't miss the sandwich. If you're using cold cuts, btw, that could be another source of gluten.

Lettuce wraps are pretty good, but kind of a pain to make.

It's weird, but planning for what you're going to stick in your mouth has to become a priority.

jenngolightly Contributor

Psoriasis sucks. Try to get your skin out in the sun if you can. Sunshine helps.

I get skin problems when I eat food that I'm allergic to. Namely, nuts. Also, when I am around cleaning supplies because I have super-sensitive skin. This has some benefits. The kids have to do all the cleaning. :lol:

If you haven't been around an allergen and you really think it's something you've eaten, then I think you're on the right track with your elimination diet.

I had to cut out corn last year and it's really, really hard. Corn is in so many foods. My pantry is almost bare because most processed foods have corn in them. I was going to make home-made chili yesterday for the first time and I was looking for a can of kidney beans. Do you know that there are almost NO brands of plain kidney beans that don't have corn in them? That's just for beans. Not chili. Just beans. I finally found one, but that's after getting really frustrated. You have to read the ingredients on EVERYTHING. Beans is not beans. <_<

Since you're working so many hours, you'll need to dedicate a day each week to cooking and freezing your food for the week. That way you won't cheat.

If you want a structured diet, you can try either the GAPS or SCD. I did the SCD diet for a year and found the foods that were bad for me and gave my tummy time to heal. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. It was also one of the best thing I've ever done for myself. Don't do it unless you have a lot of perseverance and a great support system.

Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

I had to cut out corn last year and it's really, really hard. Corn is in so many foods. My pantry is almost bare because most processed foods have corn in them. I was going to make home-made chili yesterday for the first time and I was looking for a can of kidney beans. Do you know that there are almost NO brands of plain kidney beans that don't have corn in them? That's just for beans. Not chili. Just beans. I finally found one, but that's after getting really frustrated. You have to read the ingredients on EVERYTHING. Beans is not beans. <_<

Next time you want to make chili perhaps look into dried kidney beans. I use dried beans, chickpeas and lentils all the time - they are cheaper, too. They are not as convenient but they are more readily available than gluten-free canned versions.

bartfull Rising Star

Thanks folks. What is really strange is, today, my psoriasis is noticably better - and I ate a bunch of Udi's yesterday. (At six bucks a loaf, I'm not going to throw it away.) So, anyway, Udi's, eggs, and extrasharp white cheddar. I had an apple too. That was all I ate yesterday. And after I closed the shop, I went to the grocery store.

I had to leave in a hurry with my cart still in the aisle because I felt sick. Barely made it home and to the bathroom in time. I NEVER had that happen before, not even when I ate gluten all the time. It's so CONFUSING!

So, today I made white rice with broccoli and cauliflower, and bacon crumbled up in it. It was good. I have more to eat for supper tonight. It seems like rice doesn't bother anyone so I figured that would be safe.

I never ate a very healthy diet. I don't like to cook and whatever junk they sold in the grocery store was fine. Fried chicken, frozen pizza, or a burger and fries from the local greasy spoon. I guess I need to buy a freezer and start cooking! Thanks for the suggestions, and I will check out some of the simpler recipes.

Thanks folks. What is really strange is, today, my psoriasis is noticably better - and I ate a bunch of Udi's yesterday. (At six bucks a loaf, I'm not going to throw it away.) So, anyway, Udi's, eggs, and extrasharp white cheddar. I had an apple too. That was all I ate yesterday. And after I closed the shop, I went to the grocery store.

I had to leave in a hurry with my cart still in the aisle because I felt sick. Barely made it home and to the bathroom in time. I NEVER had that happen before, not even when I ate gluten all the time. It's so CONFUSING!

So, today I made white rice with broccoli and cauliflower, and bacon crumbled up in it. It was good. I have more to eat for supper tonight. It seems like rice doesn't bother anyone so I figured that would be safe.

I never ate a very healthy diet. I don't like to cook and whatever junk they sold in the grocery store was fine. Fried chicken, frozen pizza, or a burger and fries from the local greasy spoon. I guess I need to buy a freezer and start cooking! Thanks for the suggestions, and I will check out some of the simpler recipes.

What's so confounding is that your new reaction could be from eating more fiber, which your digestive system may not be used to, or from the dairy. If you didn't feel nautious this morning, maybe it's just from adding fiber, but that's just a guess.

I don't know if you need to buy a freezer, but I know for sure you have to start cooking. A slow cooker is an option, so is a pressure cooker.

Here's an easy breakfast on the morning you're going to cook. Fried hormel hash and eggs. That's something you can pick up at the grocery, because the drive through is closed for now.

As for junk food, check the labels carefully, but I love Kettle brand s&p potato chips. They're the bomb.

Good luck, hope you figure out what's bugging you and a way to make it work around it. I don't like cooking either, but I can't hire a personal cook. :lol:

jenngolightly Contributor

I never ate healthy either! We ate things out of boxes (hamburger helper), or frozen foods, or take out. I was an extremely picky eater. And I almost never cooked anything from scratch. But you change because you HAVE to change. Now it's been almost 4 years and I have more kitchen appliances and gadgets than anyone else I know. I love my kitchen. I love trying new foods from the produce section. I love seeing recipes here and on other forums and testing them on the kids. It'll happen for you, too. It may be slow and creep up on you (it did for me), but it will happen. You may not accumulate all of the gadgets and adapt to every new food, but you'll become self-sustaining and learn to cook. It. Will. Happen.

Archived