This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mayo Clinic Easy To Read Celiac Testing Algorithm

pgrovetom

pgrovetom Rookie

I found this very helpful. Its the Mayo Clinic's Celiac diagnosis flow chart. Check it out. Its about the most straightforward way to describe the standard method for diagnosing Celiac.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I must say that I hate that the chart says that if you don't have one of the most common two genes, you can't have celiac. But this is otherwise a decent chart. I do love that it says about 10% test seronegative.

organicmama Contributor

Do you have that article about the other genes? I remember reading it but haven't found again.

beachbirdie Contributor

I found this very helpful. Its the Mayo Clinic's Celiac diagnosis flow chart. Check it out. Its about the most straightforward way to describe the standard method for diagnosing Celiac.

That is interesting to look at. Makes it easy to think one's way through the puzzles. By the Mayo Clinic chart, I should be asking for more testing since I had more than 4 units of TTG IgA.

Wonder if my doc will do the Deamidated Gliadin antibody...

pgrovetom Rookie

That is interesting to look at. Makes it easy to think one's way through the puzzles. By the Mayo Clinic chart, I should be asking for more testing since I had more than 4 units of TTG IgA.

Wonder if my doc will do the Deamidated Gliadin antibody...

My Kaiser Docs ONLY tested TTG IgA and yet I took the Labcorp Comprehensive panel myself almost 2 years ago and only failed the DGA IgA badly at 10.4 with a 0-10 range. I passed all the other tests in the panel. According to the Mayo Clinic, given their reputation, the Kaiser Docs cut corners by doing only the one test plus they violated the current recommendations of 4 samples in the biopsy plus they ignored the DQ2 and DQ8 tests.

Don't ever trust Kaiser as they cut corners such that the diagnostic success is seriously compromised. Now I plan On bringing this and other articles to them plus I went ahead and did the DQ2 and DQ8 tests myself this week and have yet to get results. Since I've been on a Gluten free diet almost 2 years ( but suspect contamination or something else), I might not test correctly but when you are desperate, you do what you can.

Even though the Mayo diagram is good, it doesn't really recognize that Gluten sensitivity reactions by themselves without any or much intestine damage is a real problem.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Gee going by their chart I guess I don't really have celiac. It must all be 'in my head'. :unsure::angry: Guess I should pull out my tackle box of drugs that I had to take prediagnosis and go have a big mac. Y'all will come to my funeral right......

sue1234 Rookie

I do know one thing--celiac or gluten intolerance is NOT an easy, logorithmic thing that can diagnosed by a flow chart!

I am still sitting as undiagnosed. Let me show where my numbers fit into this:

My tTG is 0. So, if you stop there, I am completely negative.

BUT, my doctor also tested my deaminated antigliadin IgA, and it was 45.4(0-10).

According to their chart, a negative tTG just means no celiac, stop testing. BUT, if it is positive, THEN test the antigliadin. Why? I thought the tTG was "the" blood test to rule in/out celiac. So why do further testing???

Then, if the antigliadin is over 10, biopsy. Mine was 4x the upper limit, yet the biopsy was negative. So, where do I fit into all this? I think they are missing something here, possibly that my 4x antigliadin maybe represents gluten intolerance?

This is soooo confusing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

But how can you provide reproduce-able studies if you don't have flow charts and algorithms? :rolleyes:

I think a lot of the newer generation doctors forget that there is as much art to being a physician as there is science.

beachbirdie Contributor

Gee going by their chart I guess I don't really have celiac. It must all be 'in my head'. :unsure::angry: Guess I should pull out my tackle box of drugs that I had to take prediagnosis and go have a big mac. Y'all will come to my funeral right......

:lol: You have a wonderful sense of humor! You got me ROFL!

It was hard enough to get a doc to think "outside the box" for thyroid care, celiac is ten times trickier!

Please, do stay away from that Big Mac! :o

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I think a lot of the newer generation doctors forget that there is as much art to being a physician as there is science.

And a lot of them should really have been "Artists" instead of Doctors...at least in my experience... :huh::unsure:

Archived