This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone From Northern Ireland

JackDaniels

JackDaniels Newbie

Hi Everyone I have just been diagnosed with Coeliac on 26/07/11. I'm completely lost and confused. I don't know who to talk to or what to do. Are all cases basicaly the same or is there differences in symtoms? Do some ppl only have mild symtoms or are they all the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RacerX35 Rookie

Hello there!

I'm not from Northern Ireland, but do have ancestory from there and would some day really enjoy going there (my last name is Magee). Now, I am pretty new to this as well and am figuring things out as I go. This forum is a good place to be to talk to people about this. I don't think that all people have the similar reactions, but probably similar symptoms. I am gluten sensitive and my reaction is to have seizures after eating gluten products. I do not get diaheara (or however you spell it), but can get stomache cramps every now and then. Also, I think that some people are more suseptable to cross contamination than others. It's a big world and there are so many different types of gluten reactions and sensitivities. I have read that some have sensitivties to anything that even touches their skin. So stay on this forum and I bet you will find many good people to talk to,,,,, I know I did. :D

Later,

Ray

ElseB Contributor

I"m not from Northern Ireland either, but have been there several times (my mother is originally from Belfast). Most countries, and I think NI included, have Coeliac associations that are great resources. They can provide you with information about where to shop, safe restaurants, and often have support groups too. When I was first diagnosed, I found my national association extremely helpful. You might want to look into it.

• 4 weeks later...
Reba32 Rookie

Not from NI either, but my ancestors are! I have very distant cousins who still live there in Co. Tyrone, and Belfast :)

Anyhoo, as I understand it, the Irelands are the most Celiac friendly countries on the planet, because genetically speaking, we're the most prone to the disease. So in one way you're lucky, there should be a lot of knowledge and support there for you if you have a look around.

No, not everyone has the same reactions to gluten. I myself get terribly terribly constipated, and my GI told me I can't possibly have Celiac because I don't get diarrhea! Then my blood test turned up 99.9% positive, and my biopsy was positive. (only about 35% of Celiac patients actually get diarrhea, but for some reason it's the main thing doctors look for!). I also get really bad pain, and bloating and noxious gas. I have a friend who has no observable intestinal reaction at all, which is unfortunate for her, because she feels she can "cheat". Painful reaction or no, the damage is still being done to the intestine and to her body, and will never heal if she doesn't eliminate gluten entirely.

I think the main problem with diagnosing Celiac is that the symptoms are so varied, no two patients are alike.

desert rose Newbie

Hi, Im not from Northern Island however my great grandmother was a Mcguiness from County Cork. Yes it is all very confusing to begin with. My symptoms were intergestion, heart burn and vomiting all at the same time until the gluten left my system which of course was never until I finally realised what was wrong with me. Since then I have only accidently consumed a minute amount of gluten with the same symptoms occuring with in 20minutes and lasting almost 48hours. I am obviously one of the ones that cannot consume any gluten at all.

• 4 weeks later...
JackDaniels Newbie

Hi Guys and thanks for all your replies to my post. I'm still very confused about this coeliac (that's the way we in the UK spell celiac) Firstly i'm confused about how much gluten is actually bad for me because iv'e been told eating as much as a crumb of bread is like eating a whole loaf. Also If I do eat some gluten what damage does it do to me. How does eating a very tiny amount of gluten effect me. One guy posted that his girlfriend had no symptoms and does not really care about eating gluten. What harm could she do to herself. Or will she really do any harm at all. These are the things id really like to know.

• 2 weeks later...
beebs Enthusiast

Hi Guys and thanks for all your replies to my post. I'm still very confused about this coeliac (that's the way we in the UK spell celiac) Firstly i'm confused about how much gluten is actually bad for me because iv'e been told eating as much as a crumb of bread is like eating a whole loaf. Also If I do eat some gluten what damage does it do to me. How does eating a very tiny amount of gluten effect me. One guy posted that his girlfriend had no symptoms and does not really care about eating gluten. What harm could she do to herself. Or will she really do any harm at all. These are the things id really like to know.

You are right, one crumb, 1000th crumbs, it is all the same. The reason for this is that it triggers an autoimmune response and your body starts attacking your intestines. It takes near nothing to set off that chain reaction.

Everyone has different symptoms - some people have none, some have severe, some have neuro symptoms and some have arthritis. Its confusing as anything. The thing is there are so many health risk. The biggest scary one for me is that depending on which study you read someone who is coeliac who continues eating gluten has 9 to 39 times the risk of stomach and bowel cancers. My granndad was diag with bowel cancer at 45 - after a lifetime of sickly stomach <_< we are basically sure it was coeliac undiagnosed.

You also risk osteoperosis and if you consume gluten as a coeliac then the chance that you end up trigger another autoimmune disease is much higher. Alot of us on here have more autoimmnue diseases than just coeliac. I was undiagnosed with it for 12 years and during that time my other autoimmune things came up.

Not sure about NI, but there is a Coeliac clinic in Dublin...a whole clinic dedicated to celiac - amazing. Makes me think there is probably something similar in NI - as previous people have said its in the genes over there for sure.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
auzzi Newbie

Didn't your doctor give you information about the Coeliac Societies available to you ?

Although you are Northen Ireland, it is worth noting that Ireland, in general, has one of the highest level of Coeliac Disease in the world. As a result, the Coeliac Society Of Ireland is a very active association.

Contact either Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link for informations, list, and guides. Membership of your local association is a very good idea.

Membership of the either Society will provide you with

1. Coeliac Handbook packed with medical and practical information.

2. gluten-free Food List and latest updates

3. Coeliac Friendly Restaurant List.

The cost of Gluten-free foods is defrayed through

- Tax Relief

- Drug Payment Scheme

- Medical Card

- Diet Supplement

Also Coeliac Society Of Ireland has a Open Original Shared Link available to ask questions

Archived