Cheryl_C

Looking For Yogurt

Rate this topic

I get to spend the next week on antibiotics (fun!) and I'm trying to avoid the nasty effects by adding some probiotic yogurt. Someone told me about a Greek yogurt, I think it's called something like Otteri or Otari or something? I tried to google but got nowhere. Does anyone know the brand I'm talking about, or have a line on something else?

Cheers!

• Upvote 2

I have heard about chobani and orikos. Never tried Greek yogurt myself but I want to :). I have seen them next to all the other yogurt at the grocery store.

• Upvote 2

We make ours, it's really not that hard! We use whole milk and use this method: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

We started ours with Nancy's yogurt which is a Pacific NW brand of yogurt that has live cultures. We don't just eat Nancy's because it has milk powder added.

To get it thicker like Greek Yogurt you drain it (line a colander with cheesecloth or coffee filters and let the whey drip into a bowl beneath it).

• Upvote 2

We make ours, it's really not that hard! We use whole milk and use this method: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

We started ours with Nancy's yogurt which is a Pacific NW brand of yogurt that has live cultures. We don't just eat Nancy's because it has milk powder added.

To get it thicker like Greek Yogurt you drain it (line a colander with cheesecloth or coffee filters and let the whey drip into a bowl beneath it).

So excited that you shared this, can`t wait to make this crock-pot yogurt~You are a wish come true to post this, Terri

• Upvote 2

I like FAGE Greek yogurt. I just buy the plain with zero fat and add a bit (or a lot) of honey, preserves or fresh fruit to it. Plain, it tastes like creme fraiche/sour cream. With additives it tastes like thick flavored yogurt.

If you are counting calories, watch some of those brands already mentioned. They are be really high in fat and a small tub (5oz) can have upwards of 2-300 calories, especially if they are also flavored.

Fage is amazing and safe- eat the plain, o% fat every day! My Mom used to make ours but I've not been that ambitious; although I make most of my food from whole foods and don't purchase much that is processed...

Good health to you!

lisa

I love Fage too. If you get the plain there is nothing in it but milk and bacteria. Even the 0% tastes very rich. The other thing to look for is Yakult. It's in grocery stores around here. It's a little probiotic drink that has a helpful strain of Lactobacillus.