Sammyj

Needed: Meat Balls

Rate this topic

I like to make a meat ball appetizer called MOINK balls. These are made from frozen meat balls, treated with a BBQ rub, wrapped in 1/2 slice bacon. They are cooked until bacon is done, then glazed with a BBQ sauce.

MOINK61-300x225.jpg

Problem is no frozen meat balls that are gluten free.

So I am looking for a recipe for gluten free meat balls that I can use in this appetizer.

Suggestions are very welcome!

• Upvote 1

I like to make a meat ball appetizer called MOINK balls. These are made from frozen meat balls, treated with a BBQ rub, wrapped in 1/2 slice bacon. They are cooked until bacon is done, then glazed with a BBQ sauce.

MOINK61-300x225.jpg

Problem is no frozen meat balls that are gluten free.

So I am looking for a recipe for gluten free meat balls that I can use in this appetizer.

Suggestions are very welcome!

I was just looking for meatball recipes myself, today. I'm sure your " balls" are yummy! Bacon & BBQ sauce!

Go to the upper right corner. Put meatballs in the google search. I found a variety of recipes and substitutions for the bread crumbs in gluteny meatballs.

• Upvote 1

You can easily make meat (or fish) balls by combining whatever protein you have with gluten-free bread crumbs (I just stick a piece of frozen gluten-free bread in the mini food processor), minced onion, and herbs or flavoring (like fresh squeezed lemon juice and zest for fish cakes.) Roll them up in the shape you desire, stick them in the refrigerator (or not) and cook. (Grill, bake, fry, it all works.)

• Upvote 1

I make all sorts of incredible meatballs and meatloaf often. Made some honey garlic meatballs the other day with veal and pork. It is a great combination, as is veal, pork and beef (chuck). I always soak gluten-free bread cubes in milk until very soft - this really makes a difference in the texture. Then I add grated fresh nutmeg for a sort of elusive but excellent flavour that many people cannot figure out. I caramelize onions or shallots and possibly roasted red peppers and add the seasoning to that then allow it to cool prior to adding it to the ground meat. I usually also add an egg to act as a binder. You can also add a touch of Worcestershire.

Another great way to add onion is to grate it on your cheese grater if you do not feel like mincing or caramelizing. Add the onion juice as well.

Grinding your own meat is fun if you have a food processor or meat grinder but admittedly it is not necessary! :D

• Upvote 1

Use corn chex or rice chex instead of bread crumbs.

Ground beef

rice chex crumbs

seasonings (onions, bell peppers, shallots, etc)

Salt pepper

egg as a binder

mix together and form into meat balls. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1/2 hour and freeze. They can be thawed when needed.

Wenmin

I posted this recipe in another topic a while back. I'ts sort of buried in there on page 1338.

For all of you that have been anxiously waiting, here is the answer to your questions about my meatballs.

Gluten Free Meatballs

The main recipe for meatballs calls for bread crumbs. We make these from Glutino Fiber Bread, but other gluten-free breads should work equally well. It is best for this purpose when it has been defrosted for at least a day, or that fresh bread is at least a day old. Tear it into pieces and then use the pulse setting on a blender or food processor until the desired consistency is achieved. Unused crumbs can be placed in a sealed container and stored in the freezer. If measuring frozen crumbs for a recipe, allow extra. We find 1 1/4 cups of frozen defrosts to about 1 cup.

Hmm, maybe this should be a secret recipe. It has eleven four different herbs and spices. :lol:

Preheat oven to 400F (200C)

15x10 inch pan, lightly greased (or use PAM)

Makes about 45-50 meatballs.

1 1/2 lbs extra lean ground beef (750g)

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (see above) (250 ml)

1 tbsp dried parsley flakes (15 ml)

1 tbsp dried basil (15 ml)

1 tbsp dried oregano (15 ml)

1/4 tsp ground black pepper (1 ml)

You can use fresh instead of dried herbs by doubling the measure, that is, 2 tbsp or 30 ml.

In a large bowl, gently mix together beef, egg, bread crumbs, parsley, basil, oregano and ground pepper. Shape into 1 inch balls. Place in single layer on prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center.

To Freeze: Cool slightly then freeze baked meatballs on the jelly roll pan. Once frozen, remove from the pan and place in a heavy-duty freezer bag. They won't stick together. Remove as needed and add directly to sauce, or microwave until just thawed before adding to sauce.

The picture was taken while cooling after baking and before freezing.

Bon appetit.

At the time, Chex were not available in Canada, but I imagine they could sub for bread. They'd be a bit sweeter.

I posted this recipe in another topic a while back. I'ts sort of buried in there on page 1338.

At the time, Chex were not available in Canada, but I imagine they could sub for bread. They'd be a bit sweeter.

Thanks all. I love cooking BBQ, eating BBQ, Talking BBQ, and Judgeing BBQ. This was a missing piece.

Last time I bought Foster Farms meatballs (for potluck) there was a feather in one of the balls. Now, I KNOW turkeys and chickens have feathers but I sure don't want them in my meatballs. From that point on I made a vow to myself, nothing in the can or jar is gonna pass my lips again. You can find a recipe on the Internet for anything, no need to buy cans or jars. If I HAVE to buy something in a jar (olives) I make them local. Same goes for my meat & eggs. I found everything I need on Craig's list, including a 100 lb pig I had dressed for less than $2 a lb. THAT was fun, never knew what I'd get when I defrosted a package!