Aseyan

Different Reactions At Different Times?

Rate this topic

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jennie and I am new to this forum. I've been feeling pretty terrible for a while now and have been doing an elimination diet to see if we could come up with what was causing me problems. Recently I narrowed it down to a gluten intolerance but we just need to figure out if its a straight intolerance or celiac. I wouldn't be surprised if it were celiac simply because I've had a thyroid autoimmune and I know I'm more susceptible to different autoimmunes.

I do have a question however. In my elimination process, I've noticed that my reactions as less severe in the evening. For example, Monday night I had couscous and felt 'okay'. Tuesday for lunch I had the same meal and felt like death.

Why is that? I'm actually second guessing myself that gluten is my issue because of this but at the same point, its the only constant in feeling terrible. I get the bloating, abdominal pain, tummy troubles, mind fog, headaches, fatigue etc.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Jennie

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jennie and I am new to this forum. I've been feeling pretty terrible for a while now and have been doing an elimination diet to see if we could come up with what was causing me problems. Recently I narrowed it down to a gluten intolerance but we just need to figure out if its a straight intolerance or celiac. I wouldn't be surprised if it were celiac simply because I've had a thyroid autoimmune and I know I'm more susceptible to different autoimmunes.

I do have a question however. In my elimination process, I've noticed that my reactions as less severe in the evening. For example, Monday night I had couscous and felt 'okay'. Tuesday for lunch I had the same meal and felt like death.

Why is that? I'm actually second guessing myself that gluten is my issue because of this but at the same point, its the only constant in feeling terrible. I get the bloating, abdominal pain, tummy troubles, mind fog, headaches, fatigue etc.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Jennie

Hi Jennie (I'm Jenny)! :D I have found that there really is no direct correlation to my onset and/or severity of symptoms and when I eat gluten. I can have a bagel one morning and be fine, and the next morning I eat one I am blown up like a balloon. Or, I can eat pasta for lunch and feel drunk and sickly tired all afternoon, and the next day I only get really gassy after the same meal. Sometimes I feel sick within hours, sometimes it's more like a day later. Isn't it fun being gluten intolerant? :blink:

There is also the possibility that you are intolerant to other things as well, like lactose or soy (which is common for Celiacs). Add those into the mix and you've really got a mess.... :blink:

Have you had the blood tests yet? Keep in mind that you need to be eating gluten for at least 4-6 weeks before you get tested so that the results will be accutate.

Hi Jennie (I'm Jenny)! :D I have found that there really is no direct correlation to my onset and/or severity of symptoms and when I eat gluten. I can have a bagel one morning and be fine, and the next morning I eat one I am blown up like a balloon. Or, I can eat pasta for lunch and feel drunk and sickly tired all afternoon, and the next day I only get really gassy after the same meal. Sometimes I feel sick within hours, sometimes it's more like a day later. Isn't it fun being gluten intolerant? :blink:

There is also the possibility that you are intolerant to other things as well, like lactose or soy (which is common for Celiacs). Add those into the mix and you've really got a mess.... :blink:

Have you had the blood tests yet? Keep in mind that you need to be eating gluten for at least 4-6 weeks before you get tested so that the results will be accutate.

I did get the blood test done this morning. I only eliminated gluten for 2 days before adding it back in (it was actually an inadvertent elimination, I wasn't scheduled to eliminate until later this week for a few weeks). I do also have a sensitivity to lactose but soy hasn't been too bad for me that I'm aware of. We'll see what the blood test comes back with but I'm not sure if I want to go as far as the biopsy is concerned. I'll have to talk with my doc about that one :)

Thanks!

Jennie