Rate this topic

Hi there! Im super confused. I was looking into the product "greens first" which I had heard wonderful things about. Its like 27 vegetables in a drink that supposedly tastes really good. Since I survive almost entirely on junk food, I was excited lol. Anyways, the product says "certified gluten free" on it, but barley is one of the veggies in it. I called the company and they said they use gluten free barley. Is that right? I know you could get gluten free oats but gluten free barley?

I thought barley was barley. Can't imagine how there is such a thing as gluten-free barley.

• Upvote 1

Personally I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

• Upvote 1

Personally I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

I wouldn't either.

Yeah Im definitely thinking the product is a no-go, but I'm still so confused. The woman who answered the phone said they undergo very strict testing and the product is definitley gluten free. How can that be??? They are certified gluten free from some company called "Eurofins" and have a letter from the lab posted on the website under "gluten free certification."

I looked up Greens First (because I was really curious) and didn't see barley listed in their ingredients. But I'm tired, so I might have missed it... Why I was looking - there is a difference between barley grass and the barley we all think of as being gluten. Barley grass is the plant...the green part. The barley seed/grain is where the protein and gluten is found. Barley grass is harvested before it goes to seed. So yes, barley grass is gluten free...assuming no seeds got into the grass. I personally would never feed it to my celiac kiddo. There are many other sources of nutrients to choose from. In fact, I bought some organic gluten free sprinkles (for cake and cookie decorating) and I have never used them because they have barley grass in them. (Didn't realize that when I ordered them.) In fact, I have a whole case from Amazon because nowhere around here carried them. What a waste of money!! But that's another story...

Thats really interesting about the barley, thanks for the info!! This says 2500mg of barley grass juice powder. Its listed under "products" then "greens first" (not greens first berry or greens first boost)then click "information" and scroll down to the picture of the nutrition label where everything is listed out. :)