allergyprone

Celiac In The Summer

Rate this topic

Celiac in the summer  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What season were you born in? only answer if you have been diagnosed with celiac disease

• Spring (March 20- June 19)
    • Summer (June 20- September 22)
    • Fall (September 23- December 21)
    • Winter (December 22- March 19)

I was doing some research online and found a study about people born in the summer having a higher risk of developing celiacs

<http://jech.bmj.com/content/57/1/36.abstract>

and I thought that this was interesting because I was born in the spring (may) and no one else in my immediate family has it even though most of them were born in the summer.

well anyways I'm curious to see if this is plausable

please vote and leave your comments

Nicole

I was born in June and one child in August, but my other child was born in December. And not sure if this is counted, but my husband can't tolerate gluten (only found out from him going gluten free with the rest of us) and he was born in April.

I was doing some research online and found a study about people born in the summer having a higher risk of developing celiacs

<http://jech.bmj.com/content/57/1/36.abstract>

and I thought that this was interesting because I was born in the spring (may) and no one else in my immediate family has it even though most of them were born in the summer.

well anyways I'm curious to see if this is plausable

please vote and leave your comments

Nicole

February...BUT, I was born in New Mexico, a warmer climate maybe? I dunno lol

Myself and both children were born in the summer all in the same month. Makes for a pretty boring mother's ring. :lol:

However my mother and my other brother, both who we think had and have celiac, were born in the winter though.

from the votes so far i think that the study has been debunked

So many things wrong with this statement I don't know where to begin... First, the study didn't divide people into 4 groups so you apparently didn't even read the paper. Second, you can't make conclusions about 4 groups from only 13 people. You have no statistical power. Even if a bunch of people on the board answer, you have no information about non-celiac birth rates where they live to which to compare the answers. Birth rates are generally higher in the summer to begin with.

My birthday is in January, my youngest was born in December and my oldest son was born in February(he is not diagnosed but doing a gluten free trial). My father and brother whom I believe have celiac also(won't get tested), birthdays respectively are November and July.