dreamfish

What Did I Missed?

Rate this topic

Hi, I've been on gluten-free diet for 1 month now. had very bad blister all over my back, butt, legs for 2 months; 2 weeks after I started gluten-free diet, it slowly healed. I would say that now, I don't have any open sores just scars from the lesion.

I've been pretty careful with gluten-free + Iodine free with food and products. Last night, went to a Chinese restaurant, brought my own soy sauce and iodine free salt for them to cook my meal. This morning, I found a huge blister on my leg where one of the old lesion use to be. as you can see on the picture, the skin over the blister is thicker so it didn't break yet. but it is still filled with fluid (i can feel it) and it's very itchy. My question is "what did I missed?" is it just because I went to a restaurant? or maybe there're still gluten left in my body and just acting up. I know this form of blister is already much better than the ones I've got before, small and easily breaks/spread. I'm just very frustrated. any thought/comment would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -Megan

DSC04883.JPG

Asian cuisine is always risky. I ate an Asian-fusion restaurant that has a celiac menu and had some hand swelling the next day.

It's just a tough cuisine. Good news is you can make basic dishes safely at home. Maybe wait til you've been gluten-free longer before trying again, or try a different restaurant.

I NEVER eat in a Chinese or Japanese restaurant (except PF Chang's), because I always get sick afterwards. I assume it's because they're cooking the food in a pan that had regular soy sauce in it earlier or the grill wasn't cleaned. Oftentimes, there's a language problem, and I assume that they truly don't understand how sensitive a person with celiac can be.

• Upvote 1

I NEVER eat in a Chinese or Japanese restaurant (except PF Chang's), because I always get sick afterwards. I assume it's because they're cooking the food in a pan that had regular soy sauce in it earlier or the grill wasn't cleaned. Oftentimes, there's a language problem, and I assume that they truly don't understand how sensitive a person with celiac can be.

Same here. Exactly.

Thanks for the replies. Since the beginning of my gluten-free diet, I've always thought that Asian restaurant would be safer choice for me, since there's always plain rice and stir fry vegetables. I agree that language is a huge problem. I had to explain to the waitress many time why I had to bring my own soy sauce and salt. also have a friend who is Cantonese to translate for me, so I thought I was safe. oh well.

My lesion this time is different. the bubble just store a massive amount of fluid inside, without bursting. does anyone knows why or what to do? it's been 2 days.

Megan