breakaway

How Can They Test The Small Intestines?

Rate this topic

Hi,

I have not been diagnosed yet but I feel that my problem is that the villi are probably damaged in the small intestines. When they did scopes, they could only go to the edge of the small intestines without actually going through most of the jejenum.

I know they have an x-ray called the small bowel follow through, but I don't know if that would diagnose damage to the villi?

So how would I get diagnosed with damage to the villi in my small intestines?!

Yes, they only go to the beginning of the small intestine. (duodenum)

It is possible to see all the small intestine with a video capsule, a pill cam. Celiac is clearly visible with a pill cam.

Some celiacs have villi damage other places than at the beginning of the small intestine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jejunum

Hi,

I have not been diagnosed yet but I feel that my problem is that the villi are probably damaged in the small intestines. When they did scopes, they could only go to the edge of the small intestines without actually going through most of the jejenum.

I know they have an x-ray called the small bowel follow through, but I don't know if that would diagnose damage to the villi?

So how would I get diagnosed with damage to the villi in my small intestines?!

Your question makes a good point about the accuracy and false negative possibility of a biopsy. The biopsy done to dx Celiac disease is done on the upper part of the small intestine, which is usually the first part of the intestine to become damaged by Celiac disease. But what if it's not? What if the damage is in the jejunum, where the scope cannot reach? The patient gets falsely negative biopsy result! Which is why doctors should not rely on the biopsy as the "gold standard", but as an adjunctive tool along with symptoms and blood tests in making a dx of Celiac.

And no, the small bowel follow thru will not detect flattened villi. Only a biopsy can do that (the pathologist looks at the samples thru a microscope to determine if the villi are damaged or not).

Have you had a celiac blood panel done yet?