suziq0805

Another Gluten Challenge Question

Rate this topic

I have yet another gluten challenge question. I was gluten-free for about 2 months and am now almost 2 months into a gluten challenge (not really noticing many differences during the challenge so overall it's going fine...my symptoms are neuro pain mainly). My doctor wants to do the scope/biopsies and also bloodwork through Prometheus. I had previous celiac bloodwork done with another doc and it came back negative, although I have now realized that it was not a complete celiac panel. So I've been debating about whether it is worth doing the blood test. It would be nice to get the genetic info though. My doc had a family emergency and is out of the country for a bit so my biopsy got moved to 4 weeks from now but the nurse said I could come in at any point to get bloodwork done if I want it. So my question is....now that my biopsy is moved will the bloodwork be any more accurate if I wait 4 weeks or could I go in now and get it done if I want? I know people recommend up to 3 months for a gluten challenge for a biopsy but I'm not sure if the bloodwork is the same. If I didn't have a complete celiac panel before is it worth the Prometheus test (when I know there's a good chance insurance won't cover it)? If I could get a positive blood test now then maybe I could skip the biopsy though since I don't like being under sedation.

I have yet another gluten challenge question. I was gluten-free for about 2 months and am now almost 2 months into a gluten challenge (not really noticing many differences during the challenge so overall it's going fine...my symptoms are neuro pain mainly). My doctor wants to do the scope/biopsies and also bloodwork through Prometheus. I had previous celiac bloodwork done with another doc and it came back negative, although I have now realized that it was not a complete celiac panel. So I've been debating about whether it is worth doing the blood test. It would be nice to get the genetic info though. My doc had a family emergency and is out of the country for a bit so my biopsy got moved to 4 weeks from now but the nurse said I could come in at any point to get bloodwork done if I want it. So my question is....now that my biopsy is moved will the bloodwork be any more accurate if I wait 4 weeks or could I go in now and get it done if I want? I know people recommend up to 3 months for a gluten challenge for a biopsy but I'm not sure if the bloodwork is the same. If I didn't have a complete celiac panel before is it worth the Prometheus test (when I know there's a good chance insurance won't cover it)? If I could get a positive blood test now then maybe I could skip the biopsy though since I don't like being under sedation.

I would say the longer you can remain on gluten, the better the chances that you will get a positive test. Since you are not terribly sick, I would wait, especially since the blood work will determine if you get the biopsy or not.