skier2day

Uno's Restaurant

Rate this topic

Good Evening Everyone,

My name is Melissa and this is my first time posting on this site. I have had Celiac's Disease for about 5 years now and I am always looking for new restaurants and foods to try, I'm sure like most of you do as well. I went to an Uno's Restaurant in Dedham, MA. a few months ago I decided to try the Gluten-Free vegetable pizza there and it was very tasty, but after a slice or two I started to feel really sick and queasy. I knew my symptoms automatically and realized that it was not Gluten-Free after all or someone had not followed proper care in preparing the pizza. Either way I let the manager know what happened and he apologized for it, but I will not be trying anything gluten-free from there again after that experience. has anyone else had this problem at an Uno's Restaurant before or any other supposed Gluten-Free pizza place???

Thanks,

Melissa

Good Evening Everyone,

My name is Melissa and this is my first time posting on this site. I have had Celiac's Disease for about 5 years now and I am always looking for new restaurants and foods to try, I'm sure like most of you do as well. I went to an Uno's Restaurant in Dedham, MA. a few months ago I decided to try the Gluten-Free vegetable pizza there and it was very tasty, but after a slice or two I started to feel really sick and queasy. I knew my symptoms automatically and realized that it was not Gluten-Free after all or someone had not followed proper care in preparing the pizza. Either way I let the manager know what happened and he apologized for it, but I will not be trying anything gluten-free from there again after that experience. has anyone else had this problem at an Uno's Restaurant before or any other supposed Gluten-Free pizza place???

Thanks,

Melissa

Uno's has been one of the few places I can eat without a problem. It's been a while since I tried their gluten-free pizza but I thought they only had pepperoni and cheese as gluten-free options. Was the pizza on a very thin crust or was it a thick crust? The gluten-free pizza is very thin.

Uno's has been one of the few places I can eat without a problem. It's been a while since I tried their gluten-free pizza but I thought they only had pepperoni and cheese as gluten-free options. Was the pizza on a very thin crust or was it a thick crust? The gluten-free pizza is very thin.

Hi Manna,

Yes I had made sure to ask for the gluten-free pizza and it was on a thin crust. That's why I couldn't understand how I got sick unless it was not prepared properly...

The gluten free pizza is only pepperoni or cheese, like GlutenFreeManna said. Maybe, since you ordered the veggies, they just assumed it would be okay? They are not listed as a gluten free option at my Uno's. I have eaten the pepperoni pizza and didn't get sick, though I wasn't a huge fan of the taste.

We have Naked Pizza here (Cincinnati) and it's fantastic and all their toppings are gluten free. But I don't know if they have any other locations.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry you had a bad experience! I"m fairly new to eating gluten free but I've eaten off Unos gluten-free menu a few times and have never had a problem. (but i've never had the gluten-free pizza). The management at my local Unos (upstate NY) takes care in explaining preparation procedures including preparing the food separately, wraping it separate (if it's to-go) and even having a separate server bring out a gluten free order (so it will not accidentally touch another plate). I was happy to see that some of my "old favorites" (like the baked stuffed chicken) are on their gluten-free menu.

Like I said, I've been happy with this particular restaurant but I can't speak for all of them.

I recently ate at an UNO's, but just decided to order the cob salad and felt fine afterward. I did notice that there was a veggie gluten-free pizza option on the menu too. (I live in the DC area.)

It's just so easy to get CC in restaurants, it always makes me nervous to eat out anymore unless I know they have dedicated a separate part of their kitchen for gluten free cooking/meal prep.

I had the gluten-free veggie pizza at Union Station in Wash, DC a few months ago and had no reaction. Then, last week, I had the same thing in Denver and had a minor reaction. My reactions are nerve related - I call it buzzing. The pizza may have been fine but I might have gotten contamitated off the table top or my soda glass.