Marie1976

Preschool Potluck Ideas?

Rate this topic

I've got a couple potlucks coming up where I have to come up with something to feed little ones. I was going to make peanut butter blondies (with gluten free flour of course) but the preschool is a peanut-free zone.

Everything I think of is either kind of boring (chips and salsa, plate of fruit) or too grown-up (quinoa pilaf). I used to make macaroni salad but I noticed that gluten free pasta dries out when it's cold.

Oh yeah I'm also vegan. I was thinking I could make pumpkin tofu cheesecake and just use gluten free graham cracker crumbs. Maybe cut it up into little bite sized squares? I don't know if that would be a good "kid food." (My own little ones are pretty picky, maybe others aren't so picky as mine, who turn their noses up at cake and cookies!)

Any ideas? Thanks! :)

Put the fruit on sticks with marshmallows between each fruit? gluten-free graham crackers dipped in melted chocolate & colored sprinkles? Same with gluten-free pretzels?

Can you make vegan cupcakes with gluten-free flour? I did a quick google search and found this site, http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/vegan/my-big-bloody-stab-at-veganglutenfree-cupcakes-119784 which has a recipe for vegan and gluten free chocolate cupcakes. I think this recipe has coconut frosting, but you could substitute a different flavor instead.

Those cupcakes look good, thanks for the link! I also love the idea of dipping stuff in chocolate and putting sprinkles on top, the kids could even help me do the sprinkles, thanks! :D

gluten-free rice krispies squares

sMake the blondies using nut free "peantu butter" soy butter or pea butter is good. My kids take it to school and they like it.

Not all gluten-free pasta dries out when cold. I just made a pasta salad that my daughter loves. I use a quinoa pasta that I get at the health food store. It is called Pagoda shape. But any large shape will do. It is the Tricolored kind.

Cook until just done. Don't over cook. Immediately plunge in cold water to stop the cooking.

Mix in whatever veggies you like. I used a red pepper, orange pepper and green pepper cut in bite sized pieces. Shredded carrots, but also carrot chips, slices or baby carrots work. Sliced green onions, celery, radishes and cucumber. Grape tomatoes. Black olives. I will add stuffed green to my portion but daughter only likes black. Canned kidney and garbanzo beans, drained. You can add all sorts of other raw veggies and vary the beans.

Mix with Italian dressing.

Kids love this because it is chunky and it is easy to serve up only those things that they like.

Fruit kebabs or fruit platters are another thing that kids love.