BeFree

Help Me With Toast!

Rate this topic

Before I became gluten-free, my very favorite thing to eat for breakfast was plain buttered toast. Nothing else on it, no jelly, peanut butter or nothing, just toast, and I ate it every single day for breakfast. I miss it so much--Chex cereal for breakfast is just not the same! Is there any gluten-free bread that tastes close enough to normal to eat as plain buttered toast?

That is a good question!! Before anyone can answer that here is a question for you;

What was your favorite brand of brand?

I ask because there are literally a gazillion gluten-free bread recipes out there ranging from Sorghum , Teff, Buckwheat, Almond flour, Sweet potato flour , or plain rice flour etc.....

So to narrow those replies ( you will get a LOT) let us know what are your texture and taste likes? Do you like a hearty seedy bread, a white wonder bread or a simple wheat type?

Fortunately for you, most gluten-free bread tastes better toasted. Rudi's bread is my favorite, followed by Udi's. You can get even better gluten-free breads by making your own. Search this board for some bread recipe threads. There have been some good ones in just the past few months.

• Upvote 1

Before I became gluten-free, my very favorite thing to eat for breakfast was plain buttered toast. Nothing else on it, no jelly, peanut butter or nothing, just toast, and I ate it every single day for breakfast. I miss it so much--Chex cereal for breakfast is just not the same! Is there any gluten-free bread that tastes close enough to normal to eat as plain buttered toast?

Rudi's is the closest to real bread for me.

Mizzo...my favorite bread was Orowheat Country Potato Bread. Very light and crunchy toasted, slightly sweet, kind of half way between wheat and white in terms of texture. I got some Udi's at the health food store today, I'll give that a try tomorrow morning. :)

I like Rudi's multigrain and cinnamon raisin toast. Don't have a bread machine, so dont bake my own bread. I do bake my own gluten-free biscuits sometimes, though.

I like Rudi's multigrain and cinnamon raisin toast. Don't have a bread machine, so dont bake my own bread. I do bake my own gluten-free biscuits sometimes, though.

I've baked plenty of gluten-free bread without a bread machine and I also don't have a stand mixer--just a little hand mixer. So it's possible even without paying big bucks for a new kitchen gadget. Would you mind shaing your gluten-free biscuit recipe in a new post in the recipe section (so we don't hijack this bread thread)? I have yet to find a really good gluten-free biscuit.

Mizzo...my favorite bread was Orowheat Country Potato Bread. Very light and crunchy toasted, slightly sweet, kind of half way between wheat and white in terms of texture. I got some Udi's at the health food store today, I'll give that a try tomorrow morning. :)

Look at this thread:

Perfect Gluten-Free White/sandwich Bread (at least I think so)

Her recipe is great. This is a really good recipe, practically idiot proof ( at least for me it is, hahaha )

You could tweek the recipe a little, maybe try replacing a little flour with mashed potatoes or potato flakes if they are gluten-free to get that taste you like. IMO Udi's is the closet to non gluten-free bread but it is small loaves.

Udi's makes great toast and grilled cheese. So good that my non-Celiac husband ate half of the last loaf I bought! But in his defense, we keep the house 100% gluten free so there is no normal bread for him to eat. But Udi's is the only gluten-free bread he'll eat. I've never had Rudis - we don't get it in Canada.

Look at this thread:

Perfect Gluten-Free White/sandwich Bread (at least I think so)

Her recipe is great. This is a really good recipe, practically idiot proof ( at least for me it is, hahaha )

You could tweek the recipe a little, maybe try replacing a little flour with mashed potatoes or potato flakes if they are gluten-free to get that taste you like. IMO Udi's is the closet to non gluten-free bread but it is small loaves.

I had the Udi's this morning, toasted it a nice golden brown in my oven since I don't have a new toaster yet. Wow--it was good! So much better than I thought it would be! I got to enjoy my toast this morning with a nice big glass of orange juice. Yay!

Mizzo...thanks so much for that recipe. I will definitely try it!