This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Did Someone Spike My Cookies?

bny06

bny06 Apprentice

ok.. so I am about 6 weeks gluten free- had lots of weight loss/bowel abdominal issues the two months before diagnosis ... and then wierd neuro symptoms- peripheral neuropathy etc... Anyhow my bowel issues have resolved for the most part.. but I ate some gluten free choc chip cookies last night (from pamelas mix in the purple bag) and I had one this morning too - suddenly I feel drunk! Disoriented, can't walk straight (ataxia) I have had peripheral neuropathy with numbness and some weakness.. but the numbness had resolved the past 3 days until last night it returned and now my arms legs and even trunk are totally numb!!!! tingly a little, but I coudln't even tel that my hand was in hot water earlier!!

ANyhow I was reading about the neurological/ celiac ataxia stufff. looks like caisen is a problem with a lot of neuro affected celiacs... I have been avoiding dairy, but didn't even realize I did put a stick of butter into the cookies... does butter have caisen in it??

Sorry for the mispellings I'm sure i've made- as I said I feel intoxicated and very disoriented! So strange!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Katrala Contributor

does butter have caisen in it??

Unless it was non-dairy butter, yes.

Butter is made from milk. Most margarine that you buy from your typical store will contain milk as well.

srall Contributor

Butter gets me. I keep thinking it's safe because a lot of people who can't handle lactose can still handle butter, but I've learned the hard way that for me it's casein. I can feel very very drunk from dairy.

bny06 Apprentice

How long does that drunk feeling last for yall?? I ate some cookies last night before bed and one as a dessert for breakfast haha ( I used to eat gluten filled cookies first thing in the morning along with breakfast- guess it wasn't helping my situation out any huh?) I felt awful for a good 8 hours today- drunk, disoriented feeling and then a headache to top it off.. My whole body felt more numb and tingly than normal (usually its just my arms and legs fro the neuropathy).. how long does it last for yall?

viviendoparajesus Apprentice

yes butter has casein. it makes a difference if the issue is casein or lactose or some other issue. careful with non-dairy cheese options many still have casein in them. even vegan ones which makes no sense to me. daiya is a good option if you can have yeast. for milk i like almond milk another option is rice milk i would not do soy since it is a common allergen and can be problematic for people with thyroid problems/ hashimoto's and those with celiac's. for ice cream there is a great one made with agave nectar and cashew butter. another option is the coconut milk ice cream - the chocolate is great but the vanilla has very strong coconut flavor which is not my thing. for yogurt the almond milk almonde brand is my favorite. the coconut one is good especially for unique flavors. there is also rice milk yogurt but i did not really care for it. i have never been big on using butter so i am not sure of a good substitute for it.

i have not had that drunk feeling so i cannot say how long it lasts.

best wishes!

srall Contributor

How long does that drunk feeling last for yall?? I ate some cookies last night before bed and one as a dessert for breakfast haha ( I used to eat gluten filled cookies first thing in the morning along with breakfast- guess it wasn't helping my situation out any huh?) I felt awful for a good 8 hours today- drunk, disoriented feeling and then a headache to top it off.. My whole body felt more numb and tingly than normal (usually its just my arms and legs fro the neuropathy).. how long does it last for yall?

Here's one example. I was eating out with my daughter and ordered grilled salmon. Don't know why I assumed it would be grilled with olive oil, but shame on me for not clarifying. Anyhow I realized it was butter but kept eating anyway. By the end of the meal I felt like I'd had a couple of glasses of wine. That lasted the rest of the night and the next morning my eyes were almost swollen shut (so must be allergy and intolerance I'm guessing). I felt really run down that day. I took a Claritan and I was feeling much better the next day. Hope that helps.

SoyBoy Rookie

I would say that at 6 weeks gluten-free, that's not enough time to start experimenting with fancy foods like chocolate chip cookies.

Start again and keep to the basics (vegetables, unseasoned meat, rice, fruit if you can).

Fun? No. The right thing to do? I think so.

Talk to your doctor about the need to supplement with vitamins. If you have celiac, your intestines' ability to absorb vitamins and minerals has decreased. If you have modified your diet to go gluen free, I would guess that you are eating much less of the fortified foods that you used to eat (cereals, flour, etc.)

Best of luck.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

I've never made cookies from a mix so have no clue whether those specific chocolate chips contained casein - milk chocolate indeed can! Another thing to watch out for. However, if you really crave chocolate chip cookies, they are incredibly easy to make from scratch - that way you can use Earth Balance fat (I haven't but others have) and see if you can find some safe chocolate (unless Pamela's are).

You know what? After being gluten free for six months I began experiencing severe D, etc. and assumed I was lactose or casein intolerant so I avoided it for awhile. Recently my doctor told me I had an intestinal bacterial infection, was put on antibiotics (and doubled my probiotics) and those issues have resolved. I feel sooooooo much better. And I have actually been able to easily eat dairy again! YAY!

bny06 Apprentice

Thank yall so much!!! I now see that I do need to avoid any processed foods for a while I guess... I had a horrible 3 days, and turns out not only the cookies but I was eating some chicken pattie things that were pre-made turns out they had gouda cheese in them!! I'm just happy I finally figured out why I was feeling bad again! Does anyone else twitch and get muscle cramps badly with all of this??

Archived