michelepta

Gliadin Antibody Igg Only

Rate this topic

My husband's brother and Dad both have non-biopsy diagnosed Celiacs. They both found that once they took gluten out of their diet their rather severe tummy troubles and some other issues are gone. Neither would even think of intentional consuming it again to have a biopsy and even a small amount leads to a bad response.

My 15 year old daughter has Hoshimotos Thyroid. She recently began to have Chronic Urticaria (hives). I asked (twisted the arm of) the Allergist to include a Celiac panel in her blood work. She has no diarrhea but if she has a lot of dairy she has some cramping. I really just wanted to make sure her autoimmune issues were not being aggravated by a gluten reaction.

Her tests:

TTG Antibody IgA <3 <5 Negative

Gliadin Antibody IGG 32 >17 Positive

Gliadin Antibody IGA <3 <11 negative

Endomysial Antibody SCR IGA W/Refl to titer Negative

From what I am reading I need to go back and have a Total IgA done to see if she is IgA Deficient? If that test turns out to indicate she is not deficient than that would mean she does not have Celiacs?

She also tested strong positive on her histamine release test and IGE Antibody (Anti IGE IGG) which means her Chronic Hives are Autoimmune.

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, and welcome. Yes, she does need to have the total IgA run to validate the other negative IgA test scores. However, you cannot entirely ignore the AGA IgG of 32 which is a positive result. The other test which was not run, which is very celiac specific, is the DGP (Deamidated Gliadin Peptide - again there are IgA and IgG versions).

The hashimoto's is very suspicious, and the cramping with dairy would tend to indicate some villous damage in the small intestine. And the hives are most likely food related also.

Can you take her to a pediatric GI (preferaablly one who is familiar with celiac since not all are) and ask for further testing and evaluation? Although it sounds like she is in the early stages you cannot go by only GI symptoms. Many celiacs have no GI symptoms whatsoever. It would be nice to get an endoscopy with biopsies done early to prevent her suffering all through high school if it is celiac disease. And the family history is certainly strong.

Hello, and welcome. Yes, she does need to have the total IgA run to validate the other negative IgA test scores. However, you cannot entirely ignore the AGA IgG of 32 which is a positive result. The other test which was not run, which is very celiac specific, is the DGP (Deamidated Gliadin Peptide - again there are IgA and IgG versions).

The hashimoto's is very suspicious, and the cramping with dairy would tend to indicate some villous damage in the small intestine. And the hives are most likely food related also.

Can you take her to a pediatric GI (preferaablly one who is familiar with celiac since not all are) and ask for further testing and evaluation? Although it sounds like she is in the early stages you cannot go by only GI symptoms. Many celiacs have no GI symptoms whatsoever. It would be nice to get an endoscopy with biopsies done early to prevent her suffering all through high school if it is celiac disease. And the family history is certainly strong.

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly why I asked for the test, so we could catch it early. I think I will ask for the Total IgA and beg for the Deamidated Gliadin Peptide IgG version. I will ask her Endocrinologist Doctor to order them since she has been his patient for 6 years and he has a soft spot her. (She shares his daughter's name and DOB) The Allergist Doctor was very firm that she tested a solid negative and nothing showed any celiac-it is a good thing I asked for the lab results or I would not even know there might be a problem. I have heard that pediatric GIs have quite a waiting list so this might speed things up.

Thanks again,

Michele

Ditto what mushroom said, one other thing to consider is that there are two measurable HLA markers for celaic that the Mayo clinic lab can run, the tricky part is that many folks in the general public may carry these markers, however if the HLA markers are negative it is failry accurate for excluding celiac disease as nearly every celiac patient carries them. Food for thought

best of luck