This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Challenge While Dealing With Other Issues

domesticactivist

domesticactivist Collaborator

When we first went gluten-free (last November, for my son, not because I suspected I had a problem) I had all sorts of problems which I now think was withdrawal coupled with problems with "gluten-free" processed "foods." When we went on GAPS (last February) that all got better. Now, for some reason my digestion is very up and down and out of whack. I've realized most dairy is an issue, (yogurt and ghee seem fine). I also was fine with eggs when we first reintroduced them for a couple months, but I no longer can tolerate them. We're switching our chickens' feed back to soy-free and I'm going to see if that makes a difference. I'm not sure about other things, but I think fructose malabsorption is a possibility as well, and maybe the increased fructose of summer is what made it harder for me to deal with eggs? Introducing lima beans went ok, but white beans and navy beans seem to have given me trouble. At any rate, my digestion is not consistent and hasn't been for the past couple months, but I have gotten less careful about introducing foods slowly.

I am normally one of the most careful gluten-free person I've met, aside from a the super-sensitive people on this board. Aside from very trace cc from sitting in rooms with people eating gluten/where gluten has been eaten, and handling objects (like books) we had before going gluten-free, I'm vigilant. We are very careful about the source of our food and only eat whole foods prepared at home.

However, last week the kids did go trick-or-treating, just for the fun of it. We were going to donate the candy but the nearest collection place was a ways away and the candy stayed in the house a bit too long. My partner and I snuck some of the "gluten-free" candies (I think, they didn't all have full labels on them, being bite size, and I didn't double check). Snickers sent me running to the bathroom immediately. I also had reeses peanutbutter cups, dots, a tootsie roll, and nerds. Of course these things did have milk in them which is a known problem. A couple weeks before I had a spoonful of cream cheese that had also had crumbs from bagels in it and I was sick for days. Since then I have been eating regular fare but did introduce lentils and did eat a lot of fruit, mostly apples. I got constipated, then got paradoxical diarrhea, then got diarrhea, progressing to watery, explosive diarrhea over the course of about a week since eating the candy. I had horrible gas the whole time, which has finally subsided I was lethargic for a couple days, too. Today was the worst of the diarrhea, but I'm feeling great otherwise.

I know this was stupid, as there are so many things that could have caused my digestive troubles with all those different and new things I ate. I'm wondering if it is likely to still be the effects of the candy or if it is more likely the lentils.

I'm trying to get my digestion back to the new normal I got at the beginning of GAPS so that I can start a gluten challenge. I want to do it since everything seems so out of whack and because I finally connected the dots that half of my son's genetic risk for celiac disease came from me.

I did talk to my new doctor the other day and she agreed to order a full celiac panel for me. I'm to do a gluten challenge and then come in for the blood work when it suits me. I wanted the panel ordered ahead of time so that if a gluten challenge is really bad I can just go into the lab and get tested even though the results won't be as valid as if I can do it for a few months.

I want to keep the effects of gluten obvious from the effects of other foods but It's very hard for me to stick to a diet of only safe foods right now for a few reasons:

1. I'm not sure exactly what all the problem foods are

2. The rest of the family is all eating all sorts of things I can't have

3. I'm getting tired of meat and occasional nuts as my only sources of protein

4. My sugar cravings are back full-boar and I can't seem to eat enough to feel full because of it. We have tons of fruit in the house which makes this harder. (My fault for eating candy and lots of fruit. Yes, I eat fat and protein! I felt this way for the first 3 months or so gluten-free)

How long do you think I should wait before starting the challenge, to be able to tell if the effects are from gluten or something else?

What's the best thing to eat for the challenge?

My partner was thinking I should just mix a tablespoon of wheat flour with water and eat that every day. The main reason for that would be that I'm obviously sensitive to other stuff, so the other ingredients would confuse the issue. I think the other reason she wants me to do it that way is that I won't get to eat stuff that I could get re-addicted to. Initially cutting gluten was very difficult for me. Also, just having one contained source of my gluten could help prevent cc issues in the house, though I don't think flour is the best choice in that case.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I agree the bit of flour would be good, would keep it clear. What about BRM vital wheat gluten? That would be stronger (if you can take it).

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I used Cream of Wheat 3 times a day when I challenged because the doctor only wanted me to challenge with single ingredient foods. I think that would be a lot tastier than flour mixed with water if you want to challenge just wheat.

I like the cream of wheat idea. If I decide to do just flour I think I will go with the wheat gluten. I think I'm going to aim for 20 grams of gluten per day, based on the amount of gluten in 4 slices of bread according to this article:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/38/1/How-much-gluten-is-in-a-normal-diet-and-how-much-does-it-take-to-cause-damage-in-a-celiac/Page1.html

It seems like that will be too much to eat in flour paste form. The good news is my digestion is much better today and I think I may be returning to a stable state. I've continued to eat fruit and so I think I can safely say the current problem is not fructose malabsorption. I'm hoping to start the challenge this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had a very good couple weeks and have been eating the soy free eggs without a problem. I've also started using digestive enzymes which have really improved things. Thanksgiving was great, and I feel totally fine.

So... today I am starting the challenge. I'm using Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Farina. I'm thinking it may not be an issue at all. My partner is convinced it's going to be bad. Wagers, anyone?

Di2011 Enthusiast

I'm not a gambler. Just hope you stay safe. I know you are keen on the basics so maybe you can add the gluten to stew/casserole .. won't be to "intrusive" taste/cuisine wise, to your typical diet?

I wish you luck but also will be hoping for a quick and healthy recovery.

Thanks for the well wishes. I've started eating the farina once or twice a day, about 1/4 cup prior to cooking each time. I'm keeping the rest of my diet very neutral. The first day was totally fine. Second day I got very mild brain fog and was a bit constipated and horrid gas. Third day gas was worse and i had some diarrhea but not bad. I did have to run to a bathroom out in public like the good old days, though. This morning I have a lump in my belly and my breath and BO is awful. I was farting all night. I'm also congested and my skin is a tiny bit itchy.

When we were a couple months into gluten free I felt so sensitive to getting gluten but I wasn't sure that was the problem. Now it's very mild so I'm not sure yet whether this is a real problem for me. Or maybe it is, and I've done so much healing over the past year that it will take time to undo it.

If things get bad I'll just quit and get the blood tests early.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Sounds like you're going to be fun to live with! ;)

Good luck with this? I hope it's not too bad....

:lol: Yeah. Fortunately bad moods haven't struck (yet?). I seem happy and stable. I sure do stink, though. Maybe everyone will get a cold this winter and they won't have to put up with me. My gas subsided this morning and we are going to a movie this afternoon so I decided not to eat the farina this morning and to wait until after the movie. I do not want to be stuck in a crowded theater with terrible gas!
Skylark Collaborator

Wow, stay safe with that gluten challenge!

If you want something that doesn't require cooking, the unfrosted Kellogg's Mini-Wheats are also pure vitamin-fortified wheat.

Wow, stay safe with that gluten challenge!

If you want something that doesn't require cooking, the unfrosted Kellogg's Mini-Wheats are also pure vitamin-fortified wheat.

I'm trying. So far I haven't had any symptoms that jump out at me as scary. It's all been pretty mild so far. I will definitely keep an eye on it, though. Thanks for the suggestion. Since I don't drink milk (or substitute milks, except in baking) I think I'll stick with the cooking for now. It's not bad - I have one little tiny dedicated pot and just boil some water and let it simmer. I did used to love shredded wheat, though. It was also one of my son's favorites when he was younger! Sometimes I just wish I could go back and time and undo all those "healthy" choices I gave him.

Hm. Now the past couple days I've woken up tired with my hands really stiff, bad breath, and BO. I had D this morning and then this afternoon had really bad tummy pain after eating my wheat today. I think I'm back to paradoxical D now (basically C and D at the same time, which I've had on and off for years). However, I did have a very stressful afternoon. Yesterday and the day before I ate my wheat (and had a beer one night) and seemed totally fine. My gas is gone, too.

Archived