Rate this topic

I need to add some cooking oil to my rice "stuffing" I don't want to use olive oil b/c I don't want that taste in it. It calls for vegetable oil (which I think is soybean oil and I avoid that) I have canola in the house, would that work and is it 100% safe from a gluten standpoint? I don't want to make myself or the other celiac coming sick!

Also, can any of the cooking oils be substituted when a recipe calls for vegetable oil?

Thanks

Canola oil should be fine. I saw older posts which said they buy light olive oil in the super stores to bake with, maybe you'll like light Olive Oil, something to try...

Happy Thanksgiving from Popeye. :D;)

"Vegetable oil" is a generic term that covers any oil that is plant-based. Canola oil is gluten-free. Olive oil is gluten-free, but as you noted, adds a flavor--that may or may not be what you want. Light olive oil has less flavor.

You can use any liquid cooking oil in a recipe that calls for vegetable oil. Canola, sunflower, corn, soy, safflower, olive, peanut, or blends like Wesson all work. They are all gluten-free. I think olive is the healthiest so I use light olive oil when I want a neutral-tasting oil.