kenlove

Gluten-Free Flour Enhances Dough Hydration For Premium Bakery

Rate this topic

Interesting but it makes me wonder what it is. Or what they have done to it. Has it been milled differently or has it been modified somehow? I am a suspicious type but the way the article is written it makes me more suspicious. Why isn't it being marketed to the general public I wonder?

It will be interesting to see the change in products with it's use. I had some Glutino Genius bread yesterday and it was a nice surprise. Didn't even toast it.

Charlotte

Has it been milled differently or has it been modified somehow?

I'm a member of a number of baking industry-based forums, and from what I can see, I would say the the tapioca is a modified starch like Expandex Modified Tapioca Starch. The rice flour, they emphasize, is not as gritty as the current stock, but any finely-milled asian rice flour is not gritty.

Doncha just want to say "why don't you try sticking a spoonful of coconut flour in that" for the short version, instead of all these mystery ingredients :rolleyes: ? But it sounds like they "did something" to tapioca and rice.

The whole article does have a sort of comedy aspect to it. And the link won't let me cut and paste, so they are being very protective of it. retyped a line:

"With its improved moisture management properties, Homecraft Create gluten-free 20 flour can help maintain freshness with respect to moisture perception...."

I'd love to tell a box of flour to start managing my kitchen for moisture perception better ! :lol:

Yes, it sounds like Expandex. That stuff is tricky to work with.

I'm actually making much better tasting baked goods since I went grain free. I've been baking with almond meal, flax meal, or coconut flour and making yummy, moist breads and muffins.