Ldx

Gluten-Free Shopping At Wal-Mart

Rate this topic

Hey guys,

I have been extremely ill for the past year with not much relief. After much trial and error with other things, I've decided to go gluten-free. It's been 4 days and I am progressively starting to feel significantly better. I noticed after consuming a wheat-loaded cereal one night, it induced the extreme tiredness I was having every day. I would come home and sleep 12 hours I was so tired. I also have trouble absorbing nutrition. I decided to try to cut out gluten completely, and it has been the only major difference in my health improving. Right now I have no official diagnosis, as my doctor seems disinterested in trying to solve this, even after being in countless times this year.

Anyway, pinpointing wheat to be causing my problems, it's 4 days gluten free. I am a frequent shopper of walmart, and I don't have much extra money for food. I've been eating Cinnamon Chex, and some gluten-free pancake mix, along with natural foods that do not have gluten, but the problem I'm running into is that my job is extremely physical for 8 hours a day. I am finding I'm not consuming enough of even the bad stuff to get through the day [calories, protiens, fats, carbs].

I also wake up at 3am, so it is VERY difficult to find motivation and/or time to make something for breakfast. The cream of rice or Chex just isn't cutting it. We have to wait 5 hours to eat lunch, so I am in desparate need of a quick snack to keep me going. I'm sorry guys, but I'm very new to this, so any feedback is so appreciated.

Thanks,

LDX

You need protein. Plus you have to take your lunch. Breakfast doesn't have to be the traditional eggs or cereal.

You could make stuff ahead like boiled eggs.

What about an apple with PB?

Lunch meat. I just stick it in the microwave for a few seconds so it's not cold.

Hot dogs.

Left- overs from dinner.

Jar of nuts.

Various protein bars like Lara or Kind & others are gluten-free. Nature valley almond crunch bars. Pb sandwich or with crackers.

Sliced cheese. Get a chunk & slice it up and put in grab baggies.

Corn tortillas with cheese ( and whatever you want to add), microwave to melt cheese. Fold up quickly.

Snack mix with Chex, peanuts & dried fruit ( don't need to do the kind in the oven, package in little packs).

Breakfast sausage, cook a buunch, put in the freezer. Pull out and microwave.

Excellent suggestions from kareng. I have trouble with breakfast too since I went gluten-free. A lot of times I eat leftovers. But looking at what you're already cooking up - chex cereal & pancakes - you could easily add some nuts and fresh or dried fruit (along with milk in the cereal) to make the meal more substantial.

Thanks so much! That is a HUGE burden off my back! I will consult this list tomorrow. Thanks again!!!

LDX