Duhlina

Accidentally Glutened Myself

Rate this topic

Had some pork chops in the freezer that were already in a marinade (that I had put them in prior to freezing) that I wanted to use up. I completely forgot that I put them in the marinade pre-celiac diagnosis and ASSUMED the marinade was ok. NOT. I normally don't have GI issues after ingesting gluten but boy oh boy, did I have a reaction this time. I spent the majority of my evening in the bathroom and had a lovely migraine to boot.

I DEFINITELY won't be making THAT mistake again....<grumble grumble>......

Oh no! Hope you are feeling better soon.

I have a few things left in my freezer from pre-diagnosis but I'm only feeding it to the family as they are not all gluten free at this point (using the pans dedicated to gluteny foods to cook it.) But it has caught me short a couple of times...trying to remember if I can eat it or not!

I'm so sorry. That's so frustrating. I've had it happen to me too. Don't beat yourself up too badly.

Yeah, I can relate to that. sigh...

When I first went gluten free I bought myself some cookies. Newman's I think, they look like Oreos. The package says WHEAT FREE in big letters. So I ate a few. Only later, after I had a reaction, did I read the much smaller letters that said "not gluten free." :ph34r:

Well, if nothing else, it was a confirmation that it wasn't all in my head about being sensitive to gluten. ;) (barley malt was what got me)

I DEFINITELY won't be making THAT mistake again....<grumble grumble>......

Yeah, but if you are anything like me, you have plenty more mistakes to make. LOL It is a learning process. I wish you the best.