This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question About Carbs With Dinner

alex11602

alex11602 Collaborator

I have posted before that my husband, myself and my children (ages 5 and 2) are all gluten free. There are also problems with soy, eggs, sweet potatoes, corn and certain things that its in and can have very limited dairy. Well now my youngest who has never really been picky before is refusing to eat potatoes (which she absolutely loved for the longest time) and she won't eat rice unless it's white rice made like risotto and we can not eat the same thing 7 days a week.

So a couple of questions relating to this...

-Does anyone who has problems with their blood sugar getting low have to eat potatoes or rice with dinner? I have been meaning to try not eating it, but if my sugar is messed up I end up feeling sick and the thought of not feeling good scares me.

-Is it possible to not really have a carb with dinner and still feel satified?

-And just because I'm curious...Does this pickiness usually last for toddlers (my oldest never did this even though she had a texture problem)?

I just don't want to mess with my or my daughter's blood sugar so I am trying to be cautious.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

I have posted before that my husband, myself and my children (ages 5 and 2) are all gluten free. There are also problems with soy, eggs, sweet potatoes, corn and certain things that its in and can have very limited dairy. Well now my youngest who has never really been picky before is refusing to eat potatoes (which she absolutely loved for the longest time) and she won't eat rice unless it's white rice made like risotto and we can not eat the same thing 7 days a week.

So a couple of questions relating to this...

-Does anyone who has problems with their blood sugar getting low have to eat potatoes or rice with dinner? I have been meaning to try not eating it, but if my sugar is messed up I end up feeling sick and the thought of not feeling good scares me.

-And just because I'm curious...Does this pickiness usually last for toddlers (my oldest never did this even though she had a texture problem)?

I just don't want to mess with my or my daughter's blood sugar so I am trying to be cautious.

Generally speaking, a lower carbohydrate diet will keep blood sugar stable for people who have problems with low, highs or both. Even though I have diabetes, I can get low blood sugar as well, without any meds or insulin. I was managed with diet alone for 2 years and did very well with low-carb. You might want to look into Paleo diet. It an be family friendly and is a little less restrictive in some ways than low-carb. If you are not having the carbs, you can stil stay satisfied with sufficient protein-meat and fats. I realy wasn't hungry. Part of that has to do with BG being stable. When it's stable we feel less hungry, less unconscious craving to have something to keep it in balance.

My teen go through phases with food. Gets a comfort food and sticks with it, then tires of it, but for practical resons, I have to put my foot down and have him accept what food is offered or not eat. Lately he is choosing not eat. Eventually he'll get hungry enough. It's not an all out battle but lines need to be drawn on occasion.

Sometimes feeding a low with carbs gets things out of balance, regular meals, no skipping meals, good amount of protein at each meal, maybe a protein snack at certain times-afternoon for most people, usually keeps things in balance.

Do I understand correctly that you or your daughter are on a rotation diet? that's why you can't eat the same thing 7 days in a row? That's my situation. I need to rotate, eating the same food only once in every 4 days.

missy'smom Collaborator

I am wondering if some other carb/grain that is soft and "creamy" in texture would suit your little one?

Other grains can be cooked like a porridge. In Japan they serve white rice in a tea broth with salmon. It is a comfort food, a sick-time food, a warming food. Something like that? Other root veggies can be pureed and still be suitable to serve to adults and not be "baby" food. LOL Martha Stewart and others I've seen do combos of carrots and parsnips, cafliflower and something, rutabega and something. Sometimes if the lesser common root veggies are in combo with others, their less popular flavors are balanced out. Serve something like that instead of mashed potatoes. There are recipes out there for these sorts of things. I was desperate a while back because of so many allergies so I started tring these less commonly used root veg and veg in general. I liked a combo of califlower and rutabega "puree" on top of my shepherd's pie base. I couldn't have potatoes at the time.

alex11602 Collaborator

Generally speaking, a lower carbohydrate diet will keep blood sugar stable for people who have problems with low, highs or both. Even though I have diabetes, I can get low blood sugar as well, without any meds or insulin. I was managed with diet alone for 2 years and did very well with low-carb. You might want to look into Paleo diet. It an be family friendly and is a little less restrictive in some ways than low-carb. If you are not having the carbs, you can stil stay satisfied with sufficient protein-meat and fats. I realy wasn't hungry. Part of that has to do with BG being stable. When it's stable we feel less hungry, less unconscious craving to have something to keep it in balance.

My teen go through phases with food. Gets a comfort food and sticks with it, then tires of it, but for practical resons, I have to put my foot down and have him accept what food is offered or not eat. Lately he is choosing not eat. Eventually he'll get hungry enough. It's not an all out battle but lines need to be drawn on occasion.

Sometimes feeding a low with carbs gets things out of balance, regular meals, no skipping meals, good amount of protein at each meal, maybe a protein snack at certain times-afternoon for most people, usually keeps things in balance.

Do I understand correctly that you or your daughter are on a rotation diet? that's why you can't eat the same thing 7 days in a row? That's my situation. I need to rotate, eating the same food only once in every 4 days.

Thank you!

I looked into the paleo diet before, but wasn't sure what to give the kids for breakfast since we can't do eggs.

As far as the 2 year old not wanting to eat certain things, I won't give her anything else until she finishes what we gave her. And when she doesn't want something she will dump it on the floor or pour her water in it and spread it everywhere. Actually she dumps her sippy cup almost all the time.

And we aren't on a rotation diet, but it seems like we are always eating rice now. The kids usually have rice chex for breakfast, lunch and dinner are usually meat, a veggie and rice and the youngest loves rice cakes for a snack with peanut butter on them. I think that if we keep eating rice like this that we will get tired of it and the kids will refuse to eat it or something so I am trying to get away from having it all the time.

alex11602 Collaborator

I am wondering if some other carb/grain that is soft and "creamy" in texture would suit your little one?

Other grains can be cooked like a porridge. In Japan they serve white rice in a tea broth with salmon. It is a comfort food, a sick-time food, a warming food. Something like that? Other root veggies can be pureed and still be suitable to serve to adults and not be "baby" food. LOL Martha Stewart and others I've seen do combos of carrots and parsnips, cafliflower and something, rutabega and something. Sometimes if the lesser common root veggies are in combo with others, their less popular flavors are balanced out. Serve something like that instead of mashed potatoes. There are recipes out there for these sorts of things. I was desperate a while back because of so many allergies so I started tring these less commonly used root veg and veg in general. I liked a combo of califlower and rutabega "puree" on top of my shepherd's pie base. I couldn't have potatoes at the time.

I will have to try something like this, it sounds good and maybe the 2 year old will like it. I guess I'm lucky that my 5 year old will eat anything I give her.

missy'smom Collaborator

Thank you!

I looked into the paleo diet before, but wasn't sure what to give the kids for breakfast since we can't do eggs.

As far as the 2 year old not wanting to eat certain things, I won't give her anything else until she finishes what we gave her. And when she doesn't want something she will dump it on the floor or pour her water in it and spread it everywhere. Actually she dumps her sippy cup almost all the time.

And we aren't on a rotation diet, but it seems like we are always eating rice now. The kids usually have rice chex for breakfast, lunch and dinner are usually meat, a veggie and rice and the youngest loves rice cakes for a snack with peanut butter on them. I think that if we keep eating rice like this that we will get tired of it and the kids will refuse to eat it or something so I am trying to get away from having it all the time.

I understand the breakfast challenge with no eggs. I don't tolerate eggs well.

I used to take canned pumpkin and warm it up in a custard cup with "butter" and "milk" and cinnamon etc and have that for breakfast-add your sweetener of choice. Quinoa can be cooked like a hot cereal and cinnamon, apple, raisins etc added to/ cooked with it. I sometimes eat brown rice for B. Cook it ahead of time and then warm it up in the a.m. It tastes good with sausage. I am in a rut with breakfast now too. We used to have chicken and rice soup for breakfast in the winter. What about roasted butternut squash cubes-maybe with cinnamon? and your breakfast meat. Apples and pb is not a bad breakfast, with some breakfast meat.

Skylark Collaborator

Potatoes or rice with dinner have me asleep on the couch in an hour. Zzzzz.... My blood sugar is far more stable since I've eliminated grains, starchy foods, and refined sugar. I do eat fruit, but it doesn't put me to sleep or bounce my blood sugar around the way rice or potatoes used to.

You have to eat protein and fats to feel satisfied without the carbs. Have a generous portion of lean meat or fish. Fill up on veggies and have some healthy fat like avocado, walnut oil or extra-virgin olive oil drizzled on your veggies, or a couple ounces of nuts. (This is basically paleo diet.)

One of my nephews stayed picky. I think it depends on the kid and how the parents handle the pickiness.

I was on a limited diet in childhood from food allergies. Mom used to give me sausage, ham, or bacon (she insisted on protein at breakfast) along with Tater Tots or hash browns, homemade rice pancakes, cream of rice cereal, or homemade allergen-free muffins. There was probably other food but I don't remember.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I find the more fiber, the more stable the blood sugar.

So, an apple is a better bet than an orange???

Eat a fibrous veggie or legume if youre adding a sugary fruit, bread, grain?

Skylark Collaborator

Of course she dumps it on the floor. Foods you really dislike cause you to gag and if you eat enough you'll get nauseous and possibly throw up. Do you really mean to do that to your kid? You can turn eating into a real battleground that way. (It sounds like you already have.) My sister-in-law did that with my nephew, tried to force him to eat foods. He is willfully picky now and will go hungry just to spite her. It's a huge mistake.

My mom had a policy that my brother and I had to take one reasonable-sized bite of a food before we refused it. Both my brother and I would eat pretty much anything by the time we were ten or eleven becasue we had been allowed to get used to textures and flavors on our own terms. Mom did NOT make us eat more than a bite because she was forced into eating things she disliked as a child (at camp, not by her mom) and decided it was abusive.

The important thing with "one bite" is to not react when your child suddenly accepts or rejects a new food. Kids' food preferences naturally shift and change. I could change my mind freely when I tasted a food and there was never any pressure to like a food, or any negative reaction if something seemed inedible. Mom refused to make our food preferences into any sort of battle and just patiently kept us trying different foods one bite at a time.

Edited to add: Oh, by the way extreme pickiness can be a sign of Asperger's autism. I hope that's not what is going on.

alex11602 Collaborator

Potatoes or rice with dinner have me asleep on the couch in an hour. Zzzzz.... My blood sugar is far more stable since I've eliminated grains, starchy foods, and refined sugar. I do eat fruit, but it doesn't put me to sleep or bounce my blood sugar around the way rice or potatoes used to.

You have to eat protein and fats to feel satisfied without the carbs. Have a generous portion of lean meat or fish. Fill up on veggies and have some healthy fat like avocado, walnut oil or extra-virgin olive oil drizzled on your veggies, or a couple ounces of nuts. (This is basically paleo diet.)

One of my nephews stayed picky. I think it depends on the kid.

I was on a limited diet in childhood from food allergies. Mom used to give me sausage, ham, or bacon (she insisted on protein at breakfast) along with Tater Tots or hash browns, homemade rice pancakes, cream of rice cereal, or homemade allergen-free muffins. There was probably other food but I don't remember.

The first part made me wonder...I never got a complete handle on my blood sugar and I am always tired after dinner and usually fall asleep on the couch after the kids go to bed at 8:30 (about an hour/ hour and a half after we eat). I already cut out most sugar, except for what's in fruit and I use honey in Elana's Pantry recipes in place of agave.

And thank you for the other ideas! That is why I love this site.

alex11602 Collaborator

Of course she dumps it on the floor. Foods you really dislike cause you to gag and if you eat enough you'll get nauseous and possibly throw up. Do you really mean to do that to your kid? You can turn eating into a real battleground that way. (It sounds like you already have.) My sister-in-law did that with my nephew, tried to force him to eat foods, and he is willfully picky now. It's a huge mistake.

My mom had a policy that my brother and I had to take one reasonable-sized bite of a food before we refused it. Both my brother and I would eat pretty much anything by the time we were ten or eleven becasue we had been allowed to get used to textures and flavors on our own terms. Mom did NOT make us eat more than a bite because she was forced into eating things she disliked as a child (at camp, not by her mom) and decided it was abusive.

The important thing with "one bite" is to not react when your child suddenly accepts or rejects a new food. Kids' food preferences naturally shift and change. I could change my mind freely when I tasted a food and there was never any pressure to like a food, or any negative reaction if something seemed inedible. Mom refused to make our food preferences into any sort of battle and just patiently kept us trying different foods one bite at a time.

No I don't want to do that to her and if it had been a new food I wouldn't have tried to make her eat it, but she had loved potatoes since she starting eating solids and I was able to get her to eat them when she wanted nothing else so it was kind of strange. And usually I'm pretty laid back about her food, but I was worried about her sugar staying stable and was told by the dietician when I was pregnant that it's a balance of carbs and protein that keep the sugar stable. I think that I just worry about them so much and don't want to feed them the wrong things.

Skylark Collaborator

Is there diabetes in your family that has you so worried about your children's blood sugar?

It's really normal for a kid to like something (potatoes) then dislike it, then like it again. They go in cycles with the food. I never know what my picky nephew will be eating when they come to visit. Just give her a taste when you make potatoes for everyone else and don't let on that you care whether she eats them, only that she takes a bite. If she's loving smooth risotto you might try mashed potatoes.

Don't be afraid of feeding her risotto every day, as long as it's not the only food in her meal. There are entire cultures built on rice. You can make a pot of it and warm the leftovers so that it's easy to make other foods for everyone else. Get her to taste whatever the family is eating (one bite) and then give her the risotto. When she gets tired of it (not if, but when) she will move to something else, maybe even back to potatoes. She will also be in the position of not eating what everyone else is, which can motivate some kids to accept more foods.

Keep at the fruits and vegetables and above all try to give her protein at each meal. A lot of little kids like the sweetness of fruit, carrots, and sugar snap peas. Growing kids really need protein and it will help stabilize her blood sugar. Start giving a gummy multi-vitamin if you can find one that is allergen free. My picky nephew will eat plain chicken, bacon, sausage, or ham. Nut butters are a good source of fat and protein if she tolerates any nuts and most kids like them with a little jelly or honey. If she can't have peanuts, try sunflower butter. This is also a great site full of ideas. Open Original Shared Link

alex11602 Collaborator

Is there diabetes in your family that has you so worried about your children's blood sugar?

It's really normal for a kid to like something (potatoes) then dislike it, then like it again. They go in cycles with the food. I never know what my picky nephew will be eating when they come to visit. Just give her a taste when you make potatoes for everyone else and don't let on that you care whether she eats them, only that she takes a bite. If she's loving smooth risotto you might try mashed potatoes.

Don't be afraid of feeding her risotto every day, as long as it's not the only food in her meal. There are entire cultures built on rice. You can make a pot of it and warm the leftovers so that it's easy to make other foods for everyone else. Get her to taste whatever the family is eating (one bite) and then give her the risotto. When she gets tired of it (not if, but when) she will move to something else, maybe even back to potatoes. She will also be in the position of not eating what everyone else is, which can motivate some kids to accept more foods.

Keep at the fruits and vegetables and above all try to give her protein at each meal. A lot of little kids like the sweetness of fruit, carrots, and sugar snap peas. Growing kids really need protein and it will help stabilize her blood sugar. Start giving a gummy multi-vitamin if you can find one that is allergen free. My picky nephew will eat plain chicken, bacon, sausage, or ham. Nut butters are a good source of fat and protein if she tolerates any nuts and most kids like them with a little jelly or honey. If she can't have peanuts, try sunflower butter. This is also a great site full of ideas. Open Original Shared Link

Yes there is diabetes in my family and I had gestational diabetes with them and my sugar has been flucuating ever since (after one of my pregnancies they did the fasting glucose test and it was 129 so they said I have prediabetes) plus they have some other risk factors...my oldest was 9 lbs 6 oz when she was born and the youngest was 8 lb 8 oz but had a blood sugar reading of 31 at birth. Her ped and my endo told me to use the meter and check her sugar periodically and if it was excessively high we would test for diabetes.

I guess it doesn't matter if she eats the same thing, I just worry about her since she was so sick and now that she is better I want her to keep gaining weight and continue to be healthy.

Luckily she loves fruit, meat and a fair amount of veggies. She tolerates nuts and loves peanuts and almonds. I will check again but I think that the Lil Critters gummy vitamins are pretty allergen free. I am going to look at that website. Thank you.

Skylark Collaborator

Luckily she loves fruit, meat and a fair amount of veggies. She tolerates nuts and loves peanuts and almonds. I will check again but I think that the Lil Critters gummy vitamins are pretty allergen free. I am going to look at that website. Thank you.

You are lucky that she loves so many healthy foods! She will be FINE eating rice for her starchy food until she gets interested in something else.

Juliebove Rising Star

Are you sure your blood sugar is getting low? Are you testing it? Because high blood sugar can make you very sleepy. Have you seen a Dr. about your issues? If not, you should.

I have diabetes. For me, eating low carb does not work. That bounces my blood sugar higher. So I do have to eat some carbs but not too many. What about beans? Those contain carbs plus fiber.

My daughter has pre-diabetes. She is on a low carb diet and it works for her. She's a dancer. So very active. She does eat some carbs. Just a lot less than before.

alex11602 Collaborator

Are you sure your blood sugar is getting low? Are you testing it? Because high blood sugar can make you very sleepy. Have you seen a Dr. about your issues? If not, you should.

I have diabetes. For me, eating low carb does not work. That bounces my blood sugar higher. So I do have to eat some carbs but not too many. What about beans? Those contain carbs plus fiber.

My daughter has pre-diabetes. She is on a low carb diet and it works for her. She's a dancer. So very active. She does eat some carbs. Just a lot less than before.

I do test my sugar. In the morning it will be anywhere from 40-60 and before meals if I don't eat for awhile it will be 50-60. Two hours after meals it can range from 130-220. I went to the dr after I had my last child and they said again said I had prediabetes since my fasting was 129 and A1C was 7.2 and just to keep testing on my own. I can't go back right now though since I do not have insurance and truthfully I don't go out much.

missy'smom Collaborator

Please don't go by fasting BG alone, although to be honest 129 is high enough in my opinion. I usually stay well under that, under 100, without meds or insulin. It is very rare that I go as high as 129 for my fasting. Any one-time BG reading is not very helpful. You need data from multiple times. As a mom who went undx far too long I encourage you to get tested regularly, have more thorough testing done or use a meter to test. I suspected that my gestational didn't go away after delivery but the docs reassured me that surely it did(with no testing). 11 years! later I found a new doc and demanded testing. I found myself very insulin deficient-the absolute lowset value in the normal range, and eventually being called a T1. My situation may be caused in, part by an autoimmune attack but it also may be part burnt out pancreas from going so long without management.

Please know what a normal BG should be. The ADA sets targets too high and waits too long to officially dx people, IMHO Dr. Richard Bernstein says there is no such thing as pre-diabetic, it is diabetes. You can choose for yourself if you argree with that or not. These things are so much more easily managed the earlier they are.

Open Original Shared Link

Sorry if any of this sounds harsh or scary. I just hate to see someone else go further down this road than they need to. Diabetes does not have to be a progressive disease. Armed with knowledge and tools and a plan, BG issues can be very well managed.

The best of health to you and your family.

missy'smom Collaborator

I see now, you posted your numbers. 200 something post-meal is high. No wonder you are not feeling well! :( Your a.m. fasting lows might be reactive hypoglycemia from the supper or evening carbs.

Even though I am T1 I still get mild lows on occasion-65-75, without meds or insulin. Just my unusual body ;)

To avoid those highs you want to avoid those fast acting carbs. You can do experiments where you eat same simple measl and a measured portion of your carb and test each hr post meal. If your numbers are too high, repeat the same meal with a reduced portion of that carb and test again. Repeat until you reach your target. If you can't reach your target, in my case, I dropped that food. That's called eating to meter. You want to stay under 140 at all times. even the ADA agrees that's the number at which damage to tissues occurs, even though you will see higher targets on their publications. They have had documents on their site about the 140 and tissue damage though. My doc, who is mainstream, not alternative, said stay under 140.

If you are interested in low-carb specifically designed for diabetes management. Dr Richard Bernstein has diabetes himself. He played a big part in that fact that we have personal meters today. There is a forum where you can ask questions. Open Original Shared Link

missy'smom Collaborator

Eating regulary timed meals might be important for you.

One of the situtaions that you can find me low is if I go more than 5 hrs without eating. I either have to strictly eat on time or carry something with me to nibble on if I think I will be late for a meal. It is a very fine balance. I can't snack mindlessly or emotionally. I take a measured amount of something non-spiking and stick with that portion. Enough to bump my BG up a small notch but not too much. Used to be a Tb. or 2 of nuts, but I became allergic so I find that 1 single dried prune will do the trick-2 max. No more! I have these little tiny containers I slip into my purse with the measured amount.

alex11602 Collaborator

I see now, you posted your numbers. 200 something post-meal is high. No wonder you are not feeling well! :( Your a.m. fasting lows might be reactive hypoglycemia from the supper or evening carbs.

Even though I am T1 I still get mild lows on occasion-65-75.

To avoid those highs you want to avoid those fast acting carbs. You can do experiments where you eat same simple measl and a measured portion of your carb and test each hr post meal. If your numbers are too high, repeat the same meal with a reduced portion of that carb and test again. Repeat until you reach your target. If you can't reach your target, in my case, I dropped that food. That's called eating to meter. You want to stay under 140 at all times. even the ADA agrees that's the number at which damage to tissues occurs, even though you will see higher targets on their publications. They have had documents on their site about the 140 and tissue damage though. My doc, who is mainstream, not alternative, said stay under 140.

If you are interested in low-carb specifically designed for diabetes management. Dr Richard Bernstein has diabetes himself. He played a big part in that fact that we have personal meters today. There is a forum where you can ask questions. Open Original Shared Link

Thank you so much for the information! Since I can't go to the dr without insurance I have just been testing 6 times a day to try and see where I was at, but the drs I was going to are residents so they are not the most helpful. Hopefully once I get insurance I will be able to go to a dr who will actually do testing and not just tell me to do it myself.

alex11602 Collaborator

Eating regulary timed meals might be important for you.

One of the situtaions that you can find me low is if I go more than 5 hrs without eating. I either have to strictly eat on time or carry something with me to nibble on if I think I will be late for a meal. It is a very fine balance. I can't snack mindlessly or emotionally. I take a measured amount of something non-spiking and stick with that portion. Enough to bump my BG up a small notch but not too much. Used to be a Tb. or 2 of nuts, but I became allergic so I find that 1 single dried prune will do the trick-2 max. No more! I have these little tiny containers I slip into my purse with the measured amount.

I try to remember to eat at regular times, but at times I get so sidetracked with the kids that I end up not eating regularly like I should and then I find it difficult to get back on track. For awhile I was keeping small packs of peanuts in my purse when I went out and would sometimes eat them at home so maybe I need to start doing that again.

missy'smom Collaborator

Thank you so much for the information! Since I can't go to the dr without insurance I have just been testing 6 times a day to try and see where I was at, but the drs I was going to are residents so they are not the most helpful. Hopefully once I get insurance I will be able to go to a dr who will actually do testing and not just tell me to do it myself.

Good for you for testing. I know it's hard to manage record keeping when you are a busy mom but it is helpful if you can do it. You can test all 1 hr. pp's one week and 2 hrs. the next etc. or test one meal at 1 hrs, 2 hrs, 3 hrs etc. one day and another the next or do all breakfasts for a week, lunches that next. Many ways to track and learn. There is a site that I use called sugarstats.com it is free. Enter in your data, which is a chore...but it helps. Open Original Shared Link It would give you nice pages to print out and give to your new doc.

I'm sorry to say, but I feel you docs should be doing more for you. Hope you can find someone who can be a good partner in this and set healthy goals for you and help you achieve them.

alex11602 Collaborator

I'm sorry to say, but I feel you docs should be doing more for you. Hope you can find someone who can be a good partner in this and set healthy goals for you and help you achieve them.

Even when I was pregnant they didn't really do anything. When I did the 3 hour challenge, my level was over 300 after 2 hours so it was obvious there was a problem. My dr sent me to the on staff dietician for all of 5 min and then when I couldn't get my levels below 200 it still took them almost a month for them to send me to the endo to get insulin. I finally got insulin 5 days before I delivered, when the attending in charge said they had to induce because of the problems the high sugar caused, I was having weekly ultrasounds and there was way too much fluid and at 35 weeks they estimated that the baby was already 9 lbs. And then when my daughter was born her levels were at 31 and I barely got to see her because they had to get her levels up (the ped in the hospital said her levels were so low because mine were so high). My drs never really did anything about it and they are even worse since I'm not pregnant now...I know it doesn't help that it's kind of like a community clinic where residents are the ones to see the patients and that was the only choice with the state insurance.

missy'smom Collaborator

Even when I was pregnant they didn't really do anything. When I did the 3 hour challenge, my level was over 300 after 2 hours so it was obvious there was a problem. My dr sent me to the on staff dietician for all of 5 min and then when I couldn't get my levels below 200 it still took them almost a month for them to send me to the endo to get insulin. I finally got insulin 5 days before I delivered, when the attending in charge said they had to induce because of the problems the high sugar caused, I was having weekly ultrasounds and there was way too much fluid and at 35 weeks they estimated that the baby was already 9 lbs. And then when my daughter was born her levels were at 31 and I barely got to see her because they had to get her levels up (the ped in the hospital said her levels were so low because mine were so high). My drs never really did anything about it and they are even worse since I'm not pregnant now...I know it doesn't help that it's kind of like a community clinic where residents are the ones to see the patients and that was the only choice with the state insurance.

:(:angry: That type of thing is why I get on my soapbox now and am a little blunt about things when I share with people. It's out of anger and care. The endo I consulted said for my T1 dx said I might have been better off if I'd had insulin when I was pregnant. She said it takes twice the insulin to get the same numbers so my pancreas was probably working really hard and may have burnt itself out a bit. I wasn't educated about diabetes then and innocently asked if I could try dietary management first. I never refused insulin but wasn't told anything. I may still have had an autoimmune attack on my pancreas as well and nothing to be done about that, but it may be a combo of circumstances that ended me up in this corner I am in now. Aw, well, that's old history gotta burn that bridge and take care of what I can control today. Know better do better. etc. and there's alot that still can be done.

Take Care of you mom! (((HUGS)))

Archived