charlotte-hall

Newly Diagnosed

Rate this topic

I've recently been confirmed with Coeliacs and I'm experiencing lots of symptoms including my throat. Its very difficult to describe how it feels but sometimes it feels like it has a lump in it, and a feeling sick sensation but from the throat. I have had Coeliac symptoms for about 3 months and this has been there throughout.

How long after eating gluten free will I start to feel better? I'm currently looking at all the food that would be safe to eat, however was surprised that ham contained wheat. Is there anything else that would appear safe but is not?

How long after eating gluten free will I start to feel better? I'm currently looking at all the food that would be safe to eat, however was surprised that ham contained wheat. Is there anything else that would appear safe but is not?

Welcome, Charlotte! You've just asked the million dollar question and one that all of us ask when we first go gluten-free. There really is no answer as to how long it will take. For me personally I felt better pretty quick but still had issues to deal with until this fall. Heck, I still don't know if I'm there yet but I assume I am still healing.

Here in the U.S. I think a lot of ham would be gluten-free and not contain wheat unless it was present in a glaze or sauce. Even though a lot of ham is safe here, diligent label reading is a must. Where are you from?

Did they screen you for thyroid disease? A lump in the throat feeling is a good reason to be screened, in addition to Celiac.

I'm from England. I have had symptoms for 3 months, and the doctor took blood tests and it came back showing Coeliac disease, and I have been checked for thyroid and that came back fine.

I was diagnosed celiac via bloodtest. During my scope, I found out that I also have Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EE), which is another auto-immune disorder affecting the esophagus. I've read a lot about it and even tried medication with some marginal success. My throat is often 'tingly' after I eat and I've occasionally gotten food caught in it when it's really inflamed. I think I recently stumbled onto the allergy that triggers my EE to get bad - Rice! I've been gluten free for about 11 months now but my throat was really bothered since most of my replacement foods were rice-based. I quit rice a few days ago and have had improving symptoms ever since. I'm hoping this is the culprit since I don't want to have to do a full elimination diet to identify any other potential triggers.

I'm only mentioning this as a possibility since you specifically mention the throat as a problem.

You could start keeping a food diary and see if your throat is more bothersome when you eat certain foods.

Good luck!

I've kept a food diary, and I can't see that my throat is worse after eating any food in particular :(