This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Test Should I Ask For

Guest flowermom6117

Guest flowermom6117

I will be taking my 4 yr old daughter to the G.I. doc for the first time soon. She is suspected of having celiac and her peds doc wants a biopsy done to confirm. I have read how a lot of the test come back negitive if the right ones are not run. I'm very new to all this no one in either side of our family has celiac. I would really like the right answer the first time.

Also, I beleave she may also have Lupus or R.A. because all of her symptoms are not explained by celiac alone. She has never been on a gluten free diet, I do not know if they will go away after she is. Should I have these test run now or should I wait to see what the results of a gluten free diet.

She has been ill fo a very long time and I really want answers for her sake. I plan to go gluten free even if the tests are negitive. She has already been diagnosed with being allergic to eggs, nuts, oats, wheat, peanuts, oranges, tomatoes, and bannanas.

How far do you push the doctors before you just give up and take matters into your own hads? And what are the best tests to ask for to get the correct results?

I thank everyone who answers my questions.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest flowermom6117

We were able to get into the G.I. doc the day he returned to his office. He ran all of her blood work and he biopsy is scheduled. Now we are playing the waiting game again.

spacemama Newbie

I don't know anything but that is great that you have things schedule. My younger sons GI keeps looking for worms. And we get no where. As for Lupus - I think that there are auto immune reactions from allot of stuff besides lupus. If you wanted to find out you could have the Lupus titters done. Has she has a positive ANA? I just went through this and it wasn't lupus.

Good luck and you may want to look at an elimination diet not just gluten free.

Tamara

Skylark Collaborator

You might be surprised how many different symptoms gluten can cause.

I might ask to get an ANA test on her to rule out a lot of autoimmune conditions because celiac doesn't usually cause ANA. I totally agree with starting her gluten-free as soon as the biopsy is done. Gluten intolerance/celiac can cause a broad range of symptoms, including joint pain.

Aly1 Contributor

I'm just curious what her symptoms are? As a previous poster said, there's hardly a system in the body that gluten can't touch...and with all her food allergies, it would hardly seem surprising to add gluten to the list.

Guest flowermom6117

Since the age of 13 months she has on multipul occasions run high fevers for days with no other symptoms (temps reaching 106 degrees), every time we took her to ER or doctor we were told she had a virus. She has had bleeding disorders. We were sent to a hemotaligist who found nothing. She is itchy all the time, has headaches, her jionts swell and hurt, she cannot walk for long periods, (she is very independent this is not for attention) she sleeps 12 to 15 hrs a night and is still tierd all the time, when she wears a bandaid her skin peals off with it, face breaks out in a rash when exposed to sun, is very pale with reding of the skin around the eyes.

As for known celiac symptoms she has stomach aches, gas, bloating, mood swings, cannot breath when exposed to flour, constipated most of the time, crys when she passes bowels, has days were she eats non stop, and now she is losing about a pound a week. She is almost five and wieghs in at 35lbs the last doctor appt. She was almost 41lbs 6 weeks ago. We are almost certain she has celiac, but I am concerned about the other symptoms. Her biopsy was scheduled very quickly after the doctor returned to town. She goes in this friday. As a mother I'm very nervous about the procedure, but am hopeful for results that make her life better.

Archived