DebbieM

Iga Result (4)

Rate this topic

Can anyone here help me out...I found out my IgA was a 4 and normal is 0-3.

I am going for endoscopy (my 2nd one), but I am breastfeeding, so I am holding off a bit.

Any thoughts on this IgA result? My DR said it is a just slightly higher than normal so does that necessarily mean celiac?

Thanks,

Debbie

Sorry, but you need to tell us which kind of IgA. Some are more specific for celiac than others.

Umm...I am not sure.

I am waiting to get a copy of everything so I have it in writing.

Over the phone the nurse just said "IgA TTG".

Can anyone here help me out...I found out my IgA was a 4 and normal is 0-3.

I am going for endoscopy (my 2nd one), but I am breastfeeding, so I am holding off a bit.

I recently have an endoscopy/colonoscopy while breastfeeding. My daughter was four months old at the time. Depending upon method of sedation, you can resume feeding following scope as soon as you feel alert and able. Just mentioning this in case you are delaying because of breastfeeding. Many people, including GIs are not well educated on breastfeeding and will tell you to pump and dump for 12-24 hours after scope. That is ultra conservative. You can research this and make your own decision. I thought it might be useful for you to know you are not alone and that I recently had a scope and I was and am breastfeeding.

TTG is the type of IgA. :) Anti-TTG IgA is an autoimmune antibody to a protein in your body called tissue transglutaminase (TTG for short). It's most often an indication that you're celiac, though it can come up in rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory bowel diseases. It's hard to get a positive blood test, so you should take even a low positive very seriously. Can you get them to run the rest of the celiac panel right away? You should have another autoimmune test called anti-endomysial IgA, and anti-deamidated gliadin peptide IgG and IgA. If either of those are positive you are celaic for sure and wouldn't need the scope.

Thank you.

That helps alot.

I have had different tests done by different drs.

I am gathering it all so I can take a look at what tests I have had and which I haven't.

It is confusing b/c I have had different doctors, been on and off gluten (which affected results), had 1 inconclusive biopsy and tested positive for both genes.

Thanks for replying. I appreciate it.

The journey continues....

Debbie