Deborah Holloway

San Diego Gluten-Free

Rate this topic

I just spent a week in San Diego and want to share some dining experiences.

I stayed at the Hilton Bayfront and was impressed with room service and the Vela Restaurant. All the staff we encountered were very familiar with Celiac Disease and preparing food safely for those of us need gluten free. They adapted the Vela Breakfast for me by preparing "safe" potatoes for me and offering gluten-free toast.

We ate twice at the Yard House. They have a "gluten sensitive" menu and I had the avocado and Swiss burger with a side of greens instead of bun and fries. First time was perfect and a really delicious meal. The second time, the salad arrived with croutons. They were deeply apologetic and sent out the manager but, still, it was disappointing.

I had a wonderful breakfast experience at the Edgewater Grill in Seaport Village - the bacon, avocado and cheese omelette was lovely and they provided a beautiful selection of fruit instead of the other side dishes. Lunch at the Harbor House in Seaport Village was also a success. I had the Shrimp Cocktail with house-made remoulade and cocktail sauce and a side salad and it was lovely.

Lunch at Albert's at the San Diego was only fair. I had the Cobb salad which was tasteless and blah, but I didn't get glutened.

Hope this is helpful to others.

Thanks for all the tips for when we travel to San Diego! Sounds like it was a good experience for you!

I live in San Diego. There is a gluten free cafe that makes good breads and cupcakes and sandwiches. Glad you were successful in your travels here!

I live in San Diego. There is a gluten free cafe that makes good breads and cupcakes and sandwiches. Glad you were successful in your travels here!

We will be traveling to San Diego in about a month. My son (age 11) is newly gluten free and we are trying to figure out how to make this work. Can you give the name of the gluten free cafe? We would love to try it out.

Jennefer

We will be traveling to San Diego in about a month. My son (age 11) is newly gluten free and we are trying to figure out how to make this work. Can you give the name of the gluten free cafe? We would love to try it out.

Jennefer

I don't know the name of the gluten free cafe, but when we were there a couple of months ago, we ate the PFChangs and Outback that were fairly close to SeaWorld. We did great the multiple times we ate there while we were visiting for that week. Good luck. We mostly ate in our hotel that had a kitchen, but we did eat out a quite a few times too.