allergyprone

Weird Reaction After Adding Back Grapes

Rate this topic

Ok so i added grapes back in for the first time in about a year and about 5 minutes after eating some it feels like there is a lump right behind my tongue and my throat feels numb and like it is tingling. I am breathing fine so i think i'll be fine, but I want to know if this is an allergic reaction and if so is it on the more serious side and never have them again or should i try again tomorrow to see if this was just a fluke.

Ok so i added grapes back in for the first time in about a year and about 5 minutes after eating some it feels like there is a lump right behind my tongue and my throat feels numb and like it is tingling. I am breathing fine so i think i'll be fine, but I want to know if this is an allergic reaction and if so is it on the more serious side and never have them again or should i try again tomorrow to see if this was just a fluke.

My husband and I took the ELISA test for delayed reaction (IgG mediated) food allergies. He tested very high for grapes. Before he abstained from grapes, he got frequent migraines. After he stopped eating grapes, no more migraines. Then we had a bumper crop of grapes from our arbor. He ate a lot of grapes one day. The next 2 days he had terrible migraines again. No more grapes for him. Fortunately, I don't react to grapes.

If you have an immune reaction to a food, you probably will always react to the food. The immune system doesn't forget.

Grapes are treated with sulphites, which still remain after washing. Sulphites are write a major allergen. I always get an itchy, hot red rash on my face, neck, and arms when I consume sulphites, from grapes, cider, or wine.

• Upvote 1

Grapes are treated with sulphites, which still remain after washing. Sulphites are write a major allergen. I always get an itchy, hot red rash on my face, neck, and arms when I consume sulphites, from grapes, cider, or wine.

We grow our own grapes and don't bother with sulphites or pesticides. My husband (who was diagnosed by blood test) still reacts to eating our home grown grapes. So there are some true grape allergies, unrelated to sulphites.

I tried them again today and haven't had any reaction so i think it might have been a fluke but I don't know. I had food allergy testing for the common food allergies when i was getting diagnose i don't know if grapes are on it but i tested negative for everything on the test. that was almost 3 years ago so i guess i could have changed. thanks for all the responses. :)

I tried them again today and haven't had any reaction so i think it might have been a fluke but I don't know. I had food allergy testing for the common food allergies when i was getting diagnose i don't know if grapes are on it but i tested negative for everything on the test. that was almost 3 years ago so i guess i could have changed. thanks for all the responses. :)

Which food allergy test did you take? Skin tests don't work for food allergies, because we don't put food under our skin when we eat. Some tests only look for IgE or immediate reaction allergies. Most food allergies are delayed reaction of IgG or IgA mediated allergies.

I was only 15 so I don't know what type of reaction they were looking for. It was a blood test though. should I get a new food allergy test done? I've read a lot on allergy testing and everyone seems to have a differnt opinion. i've wanted to see an allergist because of the amount of foods and other things that are giving me scary reactions like this, but I have to get a referal and my dr (peds. get a new one as soon as the state is done making changes to my insurance) thinks its all in my head.