looking for info

Frustrated In Mn

Rate this topic

I can't begin to explain how frustrated I am today....again another failure....to me there seems to be a lack in resources here in MN when it comes to group settings or support groups. They only meet once a month and I've only been able to make it to 1 out of 3 that I knew of. Today being no exception to me missing it..due to me being directionally challenged ...so again i have to try and make it to the next one only being a month away...I don't know anyone else that has celiac and have been wanting to find someone that I can connect with or someone that might be able to just understand how difficult it is...someone to maybe do something with...someone to talk to...I feel like I'm a burden to those that are around me....I get sick of stupid comments "what a great diet" "you mean you can eat potatoes" "how I can just brush the bread off from the plate and eat everything else"...Does anyone else know of any groups or support here in MN..I just wish I lived somewhere that actually had more resources.

Have you tried asking at the health food or vitamin store? They may know of something or have something in store. I've met gluten free/celiac people just buy talking to people in the gluten free aisle of the health food store and had great chats.

Have you tried asking at the health food or vitamin store? They may know of something or have something in store. I've met gluten free/celiac people just buy talking to people in the gluten free aisle of the health food store and had great chats.

I really haven't tried that but it gives me a new approach to finding people...I'll give it a try next time I'm out ...thank you for the suggestion...i guess I have to get out of my comfort zone sometimes...

You are at the best place to meet and vent your frustrations. We have all been where you are and many people are on the same road you travel.

Join us! :D

I am in the Twin Cities. I know our co op has classes for cooking gluten free, but I haven't tried them. I wonder though if something like that would help you connect with others on your same journey. I sort of agree with Lisa. I use this site for info and support more than anything else. A couple of years ago at the State Fair, my husband encouraged me to go to the health building (can't remember the real name) and we found a booth that was run by a group of people with Celiac. Well, at the time I was newly diagnosed gluten INTOLERANT and I felt the woman I was talking to was sort of dismissive. And when I asked her if she had other food intolerances that came along with celiac she said, "Well, no I have celiac so that means I only have to avoid wheat, barley and rye." I just didn't feel any sort of connection or that she was in anyway going through what I was going through. So I think a few days later I found this site and have used it ever since. Of course you don't have the face to face contact. But I read so many posts here and feel as if I could have written them...I feel like maybe I'm not crazy after all. (At least not about food issues.)

Anyhow, I don't know where you are in MN. We travel a lot and I'm telling you that I feel that Minneapolis is one of the easiest places to be gluten free. I feel like there's an awareness in restaurants, I have a couple of Whole Foods by me, and I joined a co op which is my all time favorite place to shop...even more than Nordstroms. :) Where was the meeting you were trying to get to today (if you don't mind my asking)?

The last annual conference of the Gluten Intolerance Group of North America was in Minneapolis, and I was impressed with the level of volunteerism there--apparently, there are a LOT of diagnosed celiacs in Minnesota. Have you contacted the Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) to see if there are any support groups nearby? Also, have you checked with Meetup.com? I've found dozens of celiacs in my neck of the woods through Meetup.com.

I am in the Twin Cities. I know our co op has classes for cooking gluten free, but I haven't tried them. I wonder though if something like that would help you connect with others on your same journey. I sort of agree with Lisa. I use this site for info and support more than anything else. A couple of years ago at the State Fair, my husband encouraged me to go to the health building (can't remember the real name) and we found a booth that was run by a group of people with Celiac. Well, at the time I was newly diagnosed gluten INTOLERANT and I felt the woman I was talking to was sort of dismissive. And when I asked her if she had other food intolerances that came along with celiac she said, "Well, no I have celiac so that means I only have to avoid wheat, barley and rye." I just didn't feel any sort of connection or that she was in anyway going through what I was going through. So I think a few days later I found this site and have used it ever since. Of course you don't have the face to face contact. But I read so many posts here and feel as if I could have written them...I feel like maybe I'm not crazy after all. (At least not about food issues.)

Anyhow, I don't know where you are in MN. We travel a lot and I'm telling you that I feel that Minneapolis is one of the easiest places to be gluten free. I feel like there's an awareness in restaurants, I have a couple of Whole Foods by me, and I joined a co op which is my all time favorite place to shop...even more than Nordstroms. :) Where was the meeting you were trying to get to today (if you don't mind my asking)?

I did try a gluten free cooking class once but found it difficult to relate...maybe I should try it again cause that was back when I was first diagnosed and I had no clue what I was doing...well even more so then now...Whole Foods has certainly become one of my favorite places to shop that and the Mississippi Market...love the fact that they have a listing and labels on everything...

The group I was trying to get to today was the Celiac Disease Foundation Twin Cities Chapter & Support Group it meets every 3rd Tuesday at the Chanhassen Library...

The last annual conference of the Gluten Intolerance Group of North America was in Minneapolis, and I was impressed with the level of volunteerism there--apparently, there are a LOT of diagnosed celiacs in Minnesota. Have you contacted the Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) to see if there are any support groups nearby? Also, have you checked with Meetup.com? I've found dozens of celiacs in my neck of the woods through Meetup.com.

Too bad I didn't know about that conference...It sounds like just the thing that I've been looking for..Honestly I didn't even know about the GIG until just now..or even thought about looking at meetup.com....both of these options might be just the thing I've been looking for..I'm kinda new to Celiac so I really don't know too much...Ill certainly look into both of these options.. :D

I live in northern mn and there is nothing here, trying to find food takes me to 3 grocery stores so I definitely feel your pain. Hang in there.

Jess

You are at the best place to meet and vent your frustrations. We have all been where you are and many people are on the same road you travel.

Join us! :D

:D I appreciate the understand I sometimes feel like i complain to much on here..I've only been on here since dec and it seems like all I have is a lot of questions and frustration to deal with..

I live in northern mn and there is nothing here, trying to find food takes me to 3 grocery stores so I definitely feel your pain. Hang in there.

Jess

I'm sorry Jess...Wish I could give you some tips or information to help or ease the stress...