3littleblessings

Repeat Testing In Toddler

Rate this topic

My natural doctor and I have strong suspicions that I have celiac disease, and my kids have some symptoms as well. I had my DD tested when she was 2 and her tTg was 1 (negative). Her ped says that she does not have celiac as she tested negative. Can that change since she was so young? She is 3 1/2 now. Should she be re-tested?

Thanks, Elizabeth

Yes my daughters were 3 and 4 when they got tested and docter said it could be negative cause they were so young.

Yes testing in children can be negative a lot of the time. Both my boys were tested after I was diagnosed and they were negative. They were 3.5 and 7.5 at the time.

I had the oldest one retested every year since then and continued to be negative on bloodwork. He had a scope/biopsy Aug. 2011 at age 10.5 and it was negative also. I finaly decided to do a trial of gluten free with him and have noticed lots of improvements. He did a mini challenge over the Christmas break and decided to stay gluten free. His GI is calling him non celiac gluten intolerent.

Two years after the youngest on was tested I had him retested because he had been having some new symptoms crop up in the previous 6 months. His blood work was positive for celiac. We didn't do a biopsy on him but later regretted it. We attempted to do a gluten challenge(3 month recommendation) but we had to stop after just three days. It was so obvious that gluten was very bad for him and there was no way he could continue. He has been gluten free for 14 months now and is doing wonderful. The changes have been dramatic to say the least. Looking back to when he was a baby, I think he had gluten issues since then and we just didn't know any better.

It was because of my elimination diet when I was breastfeeding my youngest son that eventually lead me to my diagnosis. I had inadvertantly gone gluten light during the first 12 months I breastfed him. After that I resumed my normal diet and within a few months I started having symptoms. I had no idea about gluten or celiac then until 2.5 years later when I was researching my symptoms.

Yes testing in children can be negative a lot of the time. Both my boys were tested after I was diagnosed and they were negative. They were 3.5 and 7.5 at the time.

I had the oldest one retested every year since then and continued to be negative on bloodwork. He had a scope/biopsy Aug. 2011 at age 10.5 and it was negative also. I finaly decided to do a trial of gluten free with him and have noticed lots of improvements. He did a mini challenge over the Christmas break and decided to stay gluten free. His GI is calling him non celiac gluten intolerent.

Two years after the youngest on was tested I had him retested because he had been having some new symptoms crop up in the previous 6 months. His blood work was positive for celiac. We didn't do a biopsy on him but later regretted it. We attempted to do a gluten challenge(3 month recommendation) but we had to stop after just three days. It was so obvious that gluten was very bad for him and there was no way he could continue. He has been gluten free for 14 months now and is doing wonderful. The changes have been dramatic to say the least. Looking back to when he was a baby, I think he had gluten issues since then and we just didn't know any better.

It was because of my elimination diet when I was breastfeeding my youngest son that eventually lead me to my diagnosis. I had inadvertantly gone gluten light during the first 12 months I breastfed him. After that I resumed my normal diet and within a few months I started having symptoms. I had no idea about gluten or celiac then until 2.5 years later when I was researching my symptoms.

Thanks for the responses. If her issues continue, or if her siblings are positive, I will have her tested again. The ped doesn't think it is necessary, but maybe the endocrinologist will.

Elizabeth