Rate this topic

I have been off glutem for a month now, and I have noticed my heartburn is gone, and so is my itchy bum. Bloating, gurgling, and nausea remains. I wonder if maybe my insides are healing from the ends towards the middle?

Sounds sill, but I have noticed I am losing a bit of weight, and my face and lower legs are getting thinner, but my belly is still huge.Maybe things 'heal' from the thin parts first then towards the bigger parts?! Thanks all have a nice day. Geat forum BTW God Bless

I'm not sure about the healing from the thin parts thing... I think each persons symptoms asks healing process are a little different. I still get the huge bloated belly even after being gluten free for 8 months. That's sometimes how I know I've gotten into something I shouldn't have but I also have gallbladder issues so that's usually the culprit. It can take quite some time for everything to heal after going gluten free but it could also be that some other intolerance or condition is causing the bloat. Did you also cut out dairy, processes foods, etc? It's best to eat only simple whole foods for a month at least and then slowly add things back in one at a time.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most people go through a short period of gluten withdrawal and that can cause some of the symptoms you mentioned. I mostly got headaches and dizzy from it but I believe you can also have GI issues.

Hello Barry and welcome!

This sounds fairly typical.

I would suggest that you give up dairy products for a month or so, along with your gluten free diet.

After some healing, dairy can successfully be reintroduced. :)

Keeping a food journal might be helpful too.

Much to my chagrin, I shall address the " itchy bum" issue. This is personal experience and my OB/ GYN 's thought mixed together.

When our gut isn't processing the food properly, the stuff coming out the bum side can be particularly irritating. If we are having gas, and ,perhaps, some leakage ( even very tiny), it can irritate. Her suggestion is that we use some baby diaper rash stuff to protect our skin and delicate parts in this area. Also, wash & dry well after every BM.

Alright....now I have completely embarrassed myself.... :ph34r:

Much to my chagrin, I shall address the " itchy bum" issue. This is personal experience and my OB/ GYN 's thought mixed together.

When our gut isn't processing the food properly, the stuff coming out the bum side can be particularly irritating. If we are having gas, and ,perhaps, some leakage ( even very tiny), it can irritate. Her suggestion is that we use some baby diaper rash stuff to protect our skin and delicate parts in this area. Also, wash & dry well after every BM.

Alright....now I have completely embarrassed myself.... :ph34r:

Your not the only one that has had this issue. I've been battling skin yeast infections in the perianal region. Not fun. I agree with the diaper rash ointment. Even though my kids are 7 and 11, I still keep it on hand. Also liquid anticid works well when you have the D and your bottom gets raw from the acidity. It helps neutralize it and heal it. My youngest son had problems with that as a baby and his ped is the one to recommend it to me. It works! I did that when I had my colonscopy prep and no sore bum. I also keep it around for when we get the D from a GI bug or a glutening. Just make sure to lable it so you don't drink it. :o:lol: