This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Carbohydrate Malabsorption

BarryC

BarryC Collaborator

Does anyone else find that they get bloated and nauseous after consuming carbohydrates? I am eating a lot less now because of the gluten, but I find even a small baked potato or bag of chips bloats me right away. Is this because of a lack of digestive enzymes? Is it possible come folks could even be mis doagnosing themselves with gluten intolerance when its really carbohydrate intolerance, or both?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Recently, SKYLARK posted this informative explanation regarding digesting complex carbs:

"We may be compounding our gut dysbiosis and inflammation issues with gluten-free baked goods because they are very starchy and contain gums like xanthan and guar gum that feed the wrong bacteria. The nutritionists in the 1940s who were going purely by symptoms documented that people with GI problems - IBS, SIBO, colitis, Crohn's, celiac - do not digest complex sugars and starches well. The hypothesis is that we don't produce saccharide digesting enzymes very well. (Lactose intolerance by this mechanism is common knowledge on the board; not everyone realizes it can extend to enzymes used to digest other di- and polysaccharides.) Gluten was discovered as the underlying mechanism of celiac and we were "cured" but many of us have learned that gluten-free is not the magic diet it's touted to be."

and I also offer to you (from NIAID)National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases:

"Food intolerance usually results from the inability to digest or metabolize a food completely. The symptoms -- gas, bloating, nausea and diarrhea -- overlap those of irritable bowel syndrome, making diagnosis tricky.

Food intolerances are varied, but some common types are lactose (milk sugar) intolerance, impaired complex carbohydrate digestion and gluten intolerance."

Translation?

You gut is messed up and starchy carbs may be too much for it to digest right now. Take them out and try again later.

Hope this helps. :)

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Barry,

If you are new to the gluten-free diet your digestive system is probably going through a lot of changes right now. All the bacteria (millions of the) that live in your digestive system are being fed a new diet of gluten free food. Some of them like that a lot and others don't like it at all. There are good and bad bacteria and they can get out of balance. One thing they do really like though is sugar. That's why lactose intoloerance makes us so gassy. The bacteria eat the lactose sugar and multiply an produce gas, just like yeast in a wine. It basically ferments in your guts. The bacteria help us digest our foods so they can be very helpful. But also some can be unpleasant.

Potatoes are starches yes, but they turn into sugars in the body. So you are basically eating a big glop of sugar when you eat a potato. That can get the bacteria very happy and gassing up the place, party time for them.

I think it is helpful to limit sugars at first and also take pro-biotics. Staying away from dairy and soy is also helpful IMHO. Taking a Betaine HCL or 2 every couple days may help too. if you have low stomach aid lot of little critters can take up residence that we don't really need roaming around in there. Betaine HCL turns into hydrochloric acid in the stomach and the added acid may help knock out some invaders.

A simple whole foods diet can help at first too. That means very limited processed foods, mostly meats and veggies that you buy whole and cook at home your self. Beware of spices mixes as some may have gluten in them.

Digestive enzymes with your meals may help some.

Skylark Collaborator

You beat me to it with my own words. :lol:

Also keep in mind that potatoes are nightshades, a problematic group of vegetables for many of us. I get D the next day if I eat them. If nightshades bother you, tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers will also cause a reaction.

IrishHeart Veteran

You beat me to it with my own words. :lol:

Also keep in mind that potatoes are nightshades, a problematic group of vegetables for many of us. I get D the next day if I eat them. If nightshades bother you, tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers will also cause a reaction.

Hope you don't mind, Sky! (it saved me time to just cut and paste! otherwise, I was going to PM you, drag you out of bed and have you write it all over again. :lol: )

It's from the last time we "tag-teamed" on a thread.

Skylark Collaborator

Hope you don't mind, Sky! (it saved me time to just cut and paste! otherwise, I was going to PM you, drag you out of bed and have you write it all over again. :lol: )

It's from the last time we "tag-teamed" on a thread.

I am flattered. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

I think it is helpful to limit sugars at first and also take pro-biotics. Staying away from dairy and soy is also helpful IMHO. Taking a Betaine HCL or 2 every couple days may help too.

Digestive enzymes with your meals may help some.

I second all this! Probiotics are a must! Digestive enzymes are a huge help!...but with one caveat, if you do not mind my saying so. Taking betaine--- if you do NOT have low stomach acid, but rather excess stomach acid ---will cause an unpleasant BURNING sensation in your gut. If that happens, do not use this supplement. IMO

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I am flattered. :)

I always provide author and cite sources. ;) And you provide excellent information. So, thank YOU!

I quoted you on another thread, too this morning. RE: chemicals.

BarryC Collaborator

Thanks for all the help guys. You werent kidding about my system going through changes. I go from a pleasant butterfly sensation, to extreme nausea, not to mention the weird you know whats. I guess its a waiting game, then I will incorporate a few high glycemic carbs back into my diet.

IrishHeart Veteran

It's hard to be patient, but healing takes time.

Hang in there!

Archived