tgrissom

Celiac & Epilepsy

Rate this topic

I had the symptoms of celiac (stomack pain, vomiting, diarrhea, etc) around puberty & didn't know what on earth it was. They all went away after a while, but then I started having complex-partial seizures around the age of 19. I was diagnosed w/ epilespy when I was 21. After my second pregnancy all the celiac symptoms returned. Finally, after a yr & a half of pain I was diagnosed w/ celiac disease. My question is whether or not the celiac is the cause of my epilepsy. My neurologist said he's never heard of celiac & epilepsy being related, but I've read differently on the web. Has anyone had any similiar experiances or know any information about a real relationship between these two diseases?

I had the symptoms of celiac (stomack pain, vomiting, diarrhea, etc) around puberty & didn't know what on earth it was. They all went away after a while, but then I started having complex-partial seizures around the age of 19. I was diagnosed w/ epilespy when I was 21. After my second pregnancy all the celiac symptoms returned. Finally, after a yr & a half of pain I was diagnosed w/ celiac disease. My question is whether or not the celiac is the cause of my epilepsy. My neurologist said he's never heard of celiac & epilepsy being related, but I've read differently on the web. Has anyone had any similiar experiances or know any information about a real relationship between these two diseases?

Tgrissom, the best way to find information that medical professionals will accept is to use PubMed or other peer-reviewed medical journals: Most doctors work on true scientific findnings and will be more or less unhappy when presented with non-tested theories. (IMHO, they are prejudiced against patients who don't rely on medical research or who say "I read it on the internet".)

Here are articles to get you started:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17122729

Good luck!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12894262

IMHO, they are prejudiced against patients who don't rely on medical research or who say "I read it on the internet".

Perhaps because any idiot with a Blogger account can claim expertise? ;)

I found another case study for you.

http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/103/12/999.long

Perhaps because any idiot with a Blogger account can claim expertise? ;)

I found another case study for you.

http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/103/12/999.long

Well, in my case I told my doctor that I thought I needed to be tested for Hashimoto's based on symptoms and she said "Don't belive everything you read on the internet. ... You just need to lose weight." And when I said that PubMed and my brother the doctor were big sources of my information, she ignored me.

Some doctors don't like patients to have control or input into their diagnoses or to have patients as participants in their own healthcare.

Some doctors don't like patients to have control or input into their diagnoses or to have patients as participants in their own healthcare.

Sad, but so true :( I am dealing with one of those now, too, and even worse, he feels threatened that I get some of my medical care in the U.S., and says, "Isn't it NICE that you have insurance in America?" :P I told him I worked many years for that, and I would have it here too if I could find anyone who would write it :blink:

In the past year, before going gluten free, I started to have seizure like episodes. These seemed to be brought on by a certain kind of flourescent lighting and sounds at a certain frequency. I read of the correlation between celiac and seizures as well.

The previous posters had great advice about printing off the research articles and taking them into your doctor.

Well, in my case I told my doctor that I thought I needed to be tested for Hashimoto's based on symptoms and she said "Don't belive everything you read on the internet. ... You just need to lose weight." And when I said that PubMed and my brother the doctor were big sources of my information, she ignored me.

The only people who have been unwilling to listen or work with me have been nurse practitioners and physician assistants. I do whatever I can to avoid them. Doctors with an M.D. or D.O. tend to have a lot of respect for my level of training because they have some idea what Ph.D. training entails. (It's always funny to watch a doctor's eyes bug out when they ask what I do. :lol:) It really bothers me that an equally smart self-taught person would have trouble getting respect from a doctor though.