Rate this topic

Hi All --

Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this question!

I just tested negative for celiac (via blood work, my tTGA was <3 and my serum IgA was 232 -- so pretty unequivocally negative). But, in addition to some annoying GI symptoms (persistent soft stools, frequent diarrhea) I also suffer from anxiety (which manifests as butterflies in my stomach, inability to concentrate, low tolerance for sensory input). My anxiety has been constant for many years, despite an otherwise calm and happy life.

In addition, routine blood work just showed that I am very deficient in B-12. My level was only around 250, despite eating plenty of red meat, eggs, chicken, and fish AND taking a B-complex with over 600% of the RDA for B-12. My doctor agrees that I have an obvious absorption issue, but has no clue what's causing it. My vitamin D levels were also low (22), but my folate was normal. All other blood work (including iron and RBCs) were normal.

I know that celiac can cause issues with nutrient absorption (which is why I was tested), but would it be specific to B-12 and not folate? Can non-celiac gluten intolerance cause issues with nutrient absorption?

Help?

These are the tests you need to have to rule out celiac:

Anti-gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anto-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG

Total serum (IgA)

Your doctor only did the TTG and the total IGA.

You may want to ask him to do a full panel on you. Even with a full panel you can have a false negative.

You should also try taking a sublingual B12 to bring your levels up as a regular supplement may not be being absorbed.

Do not try the diet until all celiac related testing is done, including an endo if you are having one, and then give the diet a good strict trial for at least a couple of months.

If you have thyroid issues or adrenal gland issues.. I've heard B12 is a HUGE factor... I would get family doctor to test your thyroid, T3, T4, and antibodies.. Also your adrenal gland.. Then you need an endocrinologist.. Because it means you might have hasimoto's

If you have thyroid issues or adrenal gland issues.. I've heard B12 is a HUGE factor... I would get family doctor to test your thyroid, T3, T4, and antibodies.. Also your adrenal gland.. Then you need an endocrinologist.. Because it means you might have hasimoto's

I actually just had a full physical, including a thyroid panel, and my thyroid is picture-perfect!!

250 is actually in the normal range for b12 levels, albeit on the low end. I had been having problems for awhile and finally pinpointed a b12 deficiancy...my levels were 50 hahaha...It's been a year on the shots and I'm still only up to 209 but have also started taking b12 tablets. I have no other issues (like listed above) other than being a celiac..