Irishgirl76

Do You Make People Wash Their Hands?

Rate this topic

I have some guests coming over today, and it's the first time I've really had people over since my diagnosis (other than close family members and my boyfriend). Just curious - do you ask people to wash their hands when they come in your house so they don't "glutenize" stuff? It seems like it would be really awkward to do that, but might be a good idea to set that precedent now so that people know that's just what you do when you come to my house. Or is that just being TOO paranoid? My boyfriend always washes his hands as soon as he comes in, but I think that's more in case he touches me or the kids (my daughter also has Celiac).

Just curious what you all do...

Thanks,

Alissa

I have some guests coming over today, and it's the first time I've really had people over since my diagnosis (other than close family members and my boyfriend). Just curious - do you ask people to wash their hands when they come in your house so they don't "glutenize" stuff? It seems like it would be really awkward to do that, but might be a good idea to set that precedent now so that people know that's just what you do when you come to my house. Or is that just being TOO paranoid? My boyfriend always washes his hands as soon as he comes in, but I think that's more in case he touches me or the kids (my daughter also has Celiac).

Just curious what you all do...

Thanks,

Alissa

Hi Alissa,

Well, I wash my hands whenever I come in the house from being out in public--not because of gluten but because of cold viruses, etc. You never know who has handled that door knob before you!

As far as gluten, no I don't ask people to wash their hands upon entering my home. I've been gluten-free for years now, and my family and friends know if they've just been eating pizza, for example, they will wash their hands but other than that--I don't worry about it.

Hi Alissa,

Well, I wash my hands whenever I come in the house from being out in public--not because of gluten but because of cold viruses, etc. You never know who has handled that door knob before you!

As far as gluten, no I don't ask people to wash their hands upon entering my home. I've been gluten-free for years now, and my family and friends know if they've just been eating pizza, for example, they will wash their hands but other than that--I don't worry about it.

Thanks, good to know.

I was also curious because they have children, who will be playing with my kids' toys... would that change anything for you? Just asking because this is all new to me (my daughter and I have both just been diagnosed within the past few weeks), and I really have no idea how careful I need to be.

Thanks again,

Alissa

Thanks, good to know.

I was also curious because they have children, who will be playing with my kids' toys... would that change anything for you? Just asking because this is all new to me (my daughter and I have both just been diagnosed within the past few weeks), and I really have no idea how careful I need to be.

Thanks again,

Alissa

Glad you clarified, Alissa--and welcome, by the way! I think in that case, I would very simply mention to the parents that if the kids have been handling any gluten-y foods they run the risk of contaminating toys, etc and would they mind having the children wash their hands.

It's one of those things that need to be handled depending on the situation.

I explain my needs thoroughly to people I'll be spending most my time with. But with occasional acquaintances I don't go into much unless they're asking. I have been training my kids though to not eat stuff that people offer them. And telling them that even if they're told it's gluten-free that they need to ask me still. I don't make ieople wash hands.

I think if you have kids coming over to play with toys, then yes. If the kids have gluteny hands, hands going all over toys, then after they leave if your kids touch the toys, and put their fingers in their mouth, or worse, they put some part of the toys in their mouth (well let's just say I can see it happening now).

It depends on their ages but if you're dealing with kids, especially the younger ones and also since you're new to this that mens you don't know how sensitive they are yet, better to be safe than sorry.