toymom

Should I Retest

Rate this topic

My 23 yr old daughter had a blood test 2 months ago and came back negative, but it was suggested she try a gluten free diet....her health has turned around. Now the doctor is telling us she needs to go off the diet for 3 wks so she can be re-tested. She has had several issues with cross-contamination during the past 2 months. I am not sure I want her to suffer and be sick, just to redo the blood test...I am looking for advice...and information to help make a choice.

Does your daughter want to re-test? Sounds like she has her answer already if she has had improvement in her health while gluten-free and problems with small amounts of gluten.

AND she could go back on gluten (many suggest three weeks isn't long enough for blood work) have another negative blood test -- all for nothing but a set back in her health improvement.

All of my children and grandchildren tested negative, but all have greatly improved health gluten-free. Even my tTG IgA was only marginally positive while my endoscopy showed severe villi blunting along with three positive biopsies. The blood tests just are not that great -- in my never to be humble obinion ;)

Good luck to you and your family :)

If she decides to do a gluten challenge for the blood test I would also suggest she have the biopsy done. That way you haven't gone through the trouble for nothing! If she does decide to do the biopsy, make sure you have a trustworthy doctor who takes enough biopsies and investigates beyond the duodenum!

Good luck! Keep us posted.

~Laura :)

If she decides to do a gluten challenge for the blood test I would also suggest she have the biopsy done. That way you haven't gone through the trouble for nothing! If she does decide to do the biopsy, make sure you have a trustworthy doctor who takes enough biopsies and investigates beyond the duodenum!

Good luck! Keep us posted.

~Laura :)

No biopsy....she has a blood-clotting issue....so that type of test is out....at least for now

No biopsy....she has a blood-clotting issue....so that type of test is out....at least for now

Ah. Have you done the genetic testing? She wouldn't have to be off of gluten for that either. Also, if they haven't been checked already you could ask for a complete vitamin and mineral panel to help assess any possible malabsorption issues

Ah. Have you done the genetic testing? She wouldn't have to be off of gluten for that either. Also, if they haven't been checked already you could ask for a complete vitamin and mineral panel to help assess any possible malabsorption issues