readergirl

Starting A Gluten Free Diet

Rate this topic

Hello all! I have long suspected I had a problem with gluten and finally talked to the doctor about today. She suggested that I try a gluten free diet to see if it helps my symptoms. I haven't had any official tests done and don't have an official diagnosis of celiac or gluten intolerance. I'm going to try the diet and see if that helps with my stomach pain, bloating, and cramps.

I'm very new to the gluten free world, although I'm familiar with it. I really don't know where to start. Is there a simple cheat sheet somewhere that lists all the foods that are not OK? Should I only start with eating meats and fruits and veggies or are gluten free cookies and crackers and bread OK to try? How should I ease into this diet? I don't really have any guidance, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I am also new. I found the easiest thing was to just eat "whole" foods. By that I mean nothing out of a package. With packages there are too many possible hidden things that I am too new to be aware of. I use condiments like salt/pepper, sesame oil, olive oil, balsamic and tamari (wheat free) for flavorings. I have ventured into some packaged items now but I always feel much much better when I just eat what I make. I find it less stressful too because I know what I am eating.

I know that you are wanting to try out the diet to see if it makes a difference. Just be aware that if you start feeling better and decide that you want to get tested, you will have to go back to eating gluten and feeling crappy before any tests can be run.