MitziG

Barley Grass, Wheat Grass And Oat Grass- But Labeled Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

I am interested in a meal replacement powder by Garden of Life called Raw Meal. It is labeled gluten free, but the ingredients say it has wheat grass, oat grass and barley grass in it. Can someone explain? Are these safe in certain forms perhaps?

This is my opinion - if I were positive it was only the grass, I might.....might...try it. I worry that nothing grows at exactly the same rate so couldn't there still be a bit of the seed at the bottom or some of the grass has started to seed at the top? I sort of think of it like my yard. There are always a few pieces of grass with seeds if I look closely.

I think there are plenty of other things to eat or make a smoothie with. I would skip it. It may test at a super low gluten level..

I agree with kareng. I wouldn't try it either.

Cereal grasses are technically safe but if any plants have gone to seed there will be gluten. I was considering Garden of Life Primal Defense probiotic that contains barely and oat grass and found this out on the web.

Q: Is Primal Defense ULTRA gluten free?

A: While every effort is made to cut the cereal grasses before the gluten head is formed and no ingredients known to contain gluten are added to the formula, as with Primal Defense, we are unable to give a guarantee that the product is 100% gluten free as there may be minute traces of gluten from the cereal grasses.

http://www.healthfoodemporium.com/garden-of-life/primal-defense-ultra.html

If you really want to eat this stuff, you need to write Garden of Life and find out if they are testing their grasses and will guarantee that it's <20 ppm gluten.

Thanks for the answers- I think I will stay away from it as well. The point about the seeds in the yard was a valid one!