alimore33

Celiac And Hair Loss

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm new, my name is Ali. I'm waiting on blood tests but can see gluten is the culprit of my pain and suffering. My belly is no longer angry with me like before.

I have an array of symptoms but my main concern is hair loss. I wasnt sure if it was

First, you should be tested for thyroid problems (perhaps your doctors already have?), because an underactive or overactive thyroid can be a cause for hairloss, and many of us suffer from thyroid conditions.

However, if the hairloss is truly a result of nutritional deficiencies, you might consider taking a B complex vitamin that contains biotin, chelated zinc, and a silicon product called BioSil, which a number of us take on this Forum, which helps to regrow hair, nails, and connective tissues. Some folks on this forum take it for joint pain. I also take a bovine collagen product made by NeoCell that I buy at a healthfood store.

If this combination is helpful, you'll see 1/2 inch of hair growth within 4-5 weeks around your hairline.

Awesome thank you so much for your reply!

Right when I was getting tested, I noticed my hair was thinning at an alarming rate and I had a bald spot developing right at my temple where my part ended. After testing and going gluten free, my other symptoms started going away (GI issues, headaches, joint aches, fogginess, etc.) immediately but the hair loss continued. It wasn't until about 3 months that I noticed my sink wasn't full of hair after I brushed it. Now, after almost a year, the hair at my temple is clearly growing back - it is almost two inches long and I never have the big clumps of hair in the shower drain or sink like I did right before being diagnosed. It can take a while. Don't give up.

Cara

I second the thyroid test opinion. Thyroid issues and Celiac/gluten intolerance seem to go together quite often.

I had hair loss at an alarming rate too. :o I didn't get bald spots..just an overall thinning. My thyroid test was normal. In my case it was a lack of nutrition due to damage in my intestine. I now take a good B complex vitamin. Biotin is specific for hair growth.

It takes time to heal, even if you take supplements, so don't get discouraged if you don't see a change over night. It should get better once you're on the path to healing.

Ali ,

first of all keep faith that u are on right track and being celiac we have no other option .

well i didnot had hair loss but my hair were weak and grey almost close to whiteish silver but on gluten free for 4 mon they look healthy and changing to blackish silver and patches looks very much black , so lets hope down track this problem of yours will get better . give time to recovery .

good luck

Hi everyone,

I'm new, my name is Ali. I'm waiting on blood tests but can see gluten is the culprit of my pain and suffering. My belly is no longer angry with me like before.

I have an array of symptoms but my main concern is hair loss. I wasnt sure if it was – stress, or that I colored my hair twice in 2 weeks, drastic diet change, or Fibromyalgia (I've had since 2006).

Osteopath & Dr mentioned gluten intolerance,and it explains hair loss, bladder problems, hip pain, constipation, acne, and skin rashes, abdominal discomfort and even fatigue and joint pain, which actually makes me think I don't have Fibromyalgia at all but Celiac.

Anyway, I'm on day 8 of a gluten-free diet. But hair loss persists, every day I see hair loss, some days it's more aggressive than others. Its quite alarming, especially because I'm only 32 and other than feeling like I got hit by a bus, I'm ok and in a good mood.

How long after a gluten-free diet does it take for hair loss to cease? Do you mind sharing your experiences? Did you experience hair loss and what did you do to slow it down?

I would appreciate any information you can give me. Thanks so much for your experiences and for this site.